Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3230 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Donny

Default Seth Thomas Legacy 3W

Hello,

I have a Seth Thomas Mantle clock and I think the model is 3W. I do't think it's very old, maybe from the early 1960's. Anyway, there are three winding ports on the front but I would like to know what each port does (from left to right). The reason I am asking is because I would like to use the clock but maybe just have it chime the hour at the top of the hour only, not every fifteen minutes or maybe not have it chime at all. The clock keeps excellent time and is in good shape but my house is very small and the chimes are kind of loud to bear with every 15 minutes. Will not having the clock chime be damaging to the clock?

Thanks very much,

Donny

Donny

Default Seth Thomas Legacy 3W (RE: Donny)

Hello,

I have a Seth Thomas Mantle clock and I think the model is 3W. I do't think it's very old, maybe from the early 1960's. Anyway, there are three winding ports on the front but I would like to know what each port does (from left to right). The reason I am asking is because I would like to use the clock but maybe just have it chime the hour at the top of the hour only, not every fifteen minutes or maybe not have it chime at all. The clock keeps excellent time and is in good shape but my house is very small and the chimes are kind of loud to bear with every 15 minutes. Will not having the clock chime be damaging to the clock?

Thanks very much,

Donny

Just wind the square in the middle and bear with the chime and striking until those springs run down.

Generally, the square on the right as you face the clock winds the chime musical train; the central winding square winds the time keeping train. The square on the left winds the spring that provides power to the wheel train that counts out the hours on the hour after the musical train completes it's performance.

No harm will come from not winding the chime and count trains on spring driven clocks such as your mantel clock.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Donny

Thank you for the fast reply.

Let's see if I understand you correctly:

If I want the clock to run and just chime the hour ON the hour, I need to wind the left and center points.

Or, does the chime musical train need to run in order to trigger the hour counting train?

It seems all the winding springs keep the clock going for over a week (longer than I expected) since I usually wind all points on Sunday. I wound it last Sunday evening 1/8 and all three actions are still running. (It's monday evening now.)

Thanks again for your help.

Donny

Blog Entries

Hi Donny, Does your Legacy model have the West German movement or the Seth Thomas USA movement? The USA movement Legacy had a chime shut-off switch on the dial between the numerals 4 & 5 on the dial if I recall correctly. You use the small end of the key to cut the chime off if yours is so equiped.

Sorry Donny. I didn't tell you the whole story so let me give you more details.

The time keeping clockworks mechanism unlocks the musical chime train of gears every fifteen minutes or tries to. The musical chime train has four sequences, one each hour. At the fourth sequence, on the hour the chime or music train plays the full tune of sixteen notes. When the last note is struck on the hour, the chime train unlocks the hour strike train so it can beat out the hour on the hour.

In short, the hour count train is unlocked only by the musical chime train on the hour. Thus the hour count train is really under control of the musical chime train.

Unfortunately, you can't have it both ways on most musical chiming mantel clocks. However, some clocks have a control lever that just prevents the hammers of the musical chime mechanism from striking the gongs. This allows the musical chime train to run through it's quarterly tunes in silence but still allows for it to unlock the hour counting strike train on the hour.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Donny

It's a German movement. I found it labeled below the number 6. I checked for a switch anyway and did not one.

Donny

Les,

The information you provided was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks very much for your prompt reply.

Thanks to Lamar too.

Sincerely,

Donny Beck

Donny

Oops, one more question please. I could not figure this one out. It's really stumped me.

I have stopped winding the musical chime train and the hour count train but I am keeping the time mechanism running as previously discussed.

Soon, either the spring in the musical time train will run out of tension and stop, probably without completing a full sequence. If that happens, the hour count train will fail to strike even if that spring still has a little tension in it because the musical strike has to fully complete in order to trigger the hour strike, right?

Let's say for example the musical chime train is is exhausted at the strike of 11:45.

I continue to wind the clocworks mechanism for several months. Time passes...

Now, it is 3:35 some odd months later and I decide to wind the other two trains. If that happens, the musical chime train finishes the 45 minute strike that it was in the middle of months ago. Currently, the next logical strike is at 3:45pm so that would be TWO 45 minute strikes in a row. Will the clock strike correctly (both trains) when it is 4 o'clock?

If you tell me the clock will somehow figure this out and strike correctly, I will be truly amazed. If you tell me that it will probably not strike correctly the next time I wind the musical and hour counting trains, which is what I am expecting, then I suppose I will need a solution for that.

Sorry, obviously I don't know very much about my clock but i am trying to learn.

I also admit that am used to a digital clock radio that sets the time and date using an atomic clock.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my clock questions in way that I understand. I do appreciate the craftmanship and accuracy of the Legacy 3W. I am truly eager to find out more about how it works.

I also appreciate you for knowing a lot about clocks and for sharing the knowledge you have.

Donny