Month's Goal: $300, Received: $110.00 - (37%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3190 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    lvan1

Default Seth Thomas movement - 89 vs 89al

I have 2 seth thomas adamantine mantle clocks. One is a humpback (89 movement), the other is a "napolean hat"? (89AL) - Can anyone tell me what the difference in these movements are? I know I'll probably be shot for saying this, but the 89AL movement is in poor shape, 2 broken mainsprings, broken teeth everywhere, a pretzel for a hammer arm, etc. but the case is great, and the humpback case isn't so great but the movement is ok, (keeps great time but doesn't strike.) I'm thinking about swapping the movements, depending on what the difference is between the two. I can't repair clocks, but I'm thinking the 89 would be an easy repair, where the 89AL would be a total overhaul.

lvan1

Default Seth Thomas movement - 89 vs 89al (RE: lvan1)

I have 2 seth thomas adamantine mantle clocks. One is a humpback (89 movement), the other is a "napolean hat"? (89AL) - Can anyone tell me what the difference in these movements are? I know I'll probably be shot for saying this, but the 89AL movement is in poor shape, 2 broken mainsprings, broken teeth everywhere, a pretzel for a hammer arm, etc. but the case is great, and the humpback case isn't so great but the movement is ok, (keeps great time but doesn't strike.) I'm thinking about swapping the movements, depending on what the difference is between the two. I can't repair clocks, but I'm thinking the 89 would be an easy repair, where the 89AL would be a total overhaul.

lvan1

Default Seth Thomas movement - 89 vs 89al (RE: lvan1)

The humpback with the 89 movement has a label on the bottom which reads MORRO, Seth Thomas Clock Co, Thomaston, Conn EST 1813, New York, Chicago, San Francisco - Can anyone date this one? The other has no info