Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 381 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Barry G

Default cuivre pocket watch identification

The watch does not appear to be marked with a maker's name and is likely a low grade Swiss watch from the mid to late 1800's.

The word "cuivre" means copper or brass, and indicates that the inner "dust" cover is made of one of these metals, as opposed to the rest of the case which might be silver or gold.

"Cylndre" indicates that the watch has a cylinder style escapement. Left to its own devices, the mainspring of a watch would wind down in a matter of seconds. The escapement is the part of the watch mechanism that keeps this from happening, forcing the mainspring to instead unwind at a slow, regular pace. The regular interaction of the various parts of the escapement is what literally makes a watch "tick." Cylinder escapements were popular on lower grade Swiss watches during the time period I mentioend. They were fairly cheap and easy to manufacture, but not as reliable as other styles.

"quatre rubis" indicates that the watch has at least 4 jewels, some of which were small doughnut shaped rubies that acted as bearings on some of the arbors [the "axles" of the various gears], and others of which were small chips of ruby used internally to provide a hard surface where various parts interact with each other. Higher grade watches would have 15, 17, 19, even 21 or 23 jewels.

Regards,

Barry

------------------
    My Online Pocket Watch Collection

[This message has been edited by Barry G (edited 03-10-2002).]

Question Re: cuivre pocket watch identification (RE: Barry G)

Quote Originally Posted by Barry G View Post
    The watch does not appear to be marked with a maker's name and is likely a low grade Swiss watch from the mid to late 1800's.

The word "cuivre" means copper or brass, and indicates that the inner "dust" cover is made of one of these metals, as opposed to the rest of the case which might be silver or gold.

"Cylndre" indicates that the watch has a cylinder style escapement. Left to its own devices, the mainspring of a watch would wind down in a matter of seconds. The escapement is the part of the watch mechanism that keeps this from happening, forcing the mainspring to instead unwind at a slow, regular pace. The regular interaction of the various parts of the escapement is what literally makes a watch "tick." Cylinder escapements were popular on lower grade Swiss watches during the time period I mentioend. They were fairly cheap and easy to manufacture, but not as reliable as other styles.

"quatre rubis" indicates that the watch has at least 4 jewels, some of which were small doughnut shaped rubies that acted as bearings on some of the arbors [the "axles" of the various gears], and others of which were small chips of ruby used internally to provide a hard surface where various parts interact with each other. Higher grade watches would have 15, 17, 19, even 21 or 23 jewels.

Regards,

Barry
    I also have come across a Cuivre Watch, I think 9K gold. Please see attached video on the link below. I'd love to have a general idea of its worth, or at least who the manufacturer is:

http://www.freeuploadsite.com/do.php?id=24595

Default Re: cuivre pocket watch identification (RE: CodyN)

Cody, you picked up on an 11-year-old post.

Please read our Forum Rules where you will see that valuations are not allowed in this forum. You need to pay a small fee to post in the "What is this watch worth" forum.

And finally, many members here (including myself) will not click on links to hosting sites because they have a reputation of being invasive. If you want to pursue your inquiry I suggest you load photos of your watch to this site.

Default Re: cuivre pocket watch identification (RE: MartyR)

Quote Originally Posted by MartyR View Post
    Cody, you picked up on an 11-year-old post.

Please read our Forum Rules where you will see that valuations are not allowed in this forum. You need to pay a small fee to post in the "What is this watch worth" forum.

And finally, many members here (including myself) will not click on links to hosting sites because they have a reputation of being invasive. If you want to pursue your inquiry I suggest you load photos of your watch to this site.
    Sorry about that Marty. Can you please provide me with a link to the "What is this watch worth" forum?

Default Re: cuivre pocket watch identification (RE: CodyN)

The link is here - the thread can be found right near the foot of our main page.