Month's Goal: $300, Received: $180.00 - (60%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4216 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Blog Entries

Default capillary oilers

All,

I have for years, oiled shock resist jewels the old fashioned way. Place the oil on the freshly cleaned cap jewel, and then placing the hole jewel in its setting, over the oiled cap jewel. This works fine 80%+ of the time, but unless you are dead on when you place the hole jewel over the cap jewel, the pair end up not properly oiled. Of course that involves re-cleaning the pair and trying again.

I am wondering if anyone on the board (who believes in separating these jewels so they are cleaned properly), who successfully uses capillary oilers to lubricate the re-assembled jewels. Are there problems with residual oil ending up outside the hole jewel (within the hole jewel setting) as the capillary oiler is either inserted into the setting, or upon being extracted? Is it a totally satisfctory method compared to doing the old-fashioned way?

Doug S.

Blog Entries

Default capillary oilers (RE: doug sinclair)

All,

I have for years, oiled shock resist jewels the old fashioned way. Place the oil on the freshly cleaned cap jewel, and then placing the hole jewel in its setting, over the oiled cap jewel. This works fine 80%+ of the time, but unless you are dead on when you place the hole jewel over the cap jewel, the pair end up not properly oiled. Of course that involves re-cleaning the pair and trying again.

I am wondering if anyone on the board (who believes in separating these jewels so they are cleaned properly), who successfully uses capillary oilers to lubricate the re-assembled jewels. Are there problems with residual oil ending up outside the hole jewel (within the hole jewel setting) as the capillary oiler is either inserted into the setting, or upon being extracted? Is it a totally satisfctory method compared to doing the old-fashioned way?

Doug S.

Default capillary oilers (RE: doug sinclair)

I recently acquired capilary oilers and while I probably have lubricated fewer watches in my life than you do in week here i smy take.

I Belive the teh cap has to be taken out and cleaned but I have little confidence that the oil spot will be the right size of stay in place on reinstalling the cap.

I used to use a spade oiler and poke it into teh cap with a jewel gage., which is what primarily used the tool to do.

The attraction of the pen type oiler is that the fine wire produces a capilary action that gets oitl to the cap and at least high power magnification shows that it get the oil where it belongs.

In my view, this tool is better than old way.

Dr. Jon