Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4185 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do i repair a Fusee chain?

Hello fellow members, I have a pocket watch that was brought to me for repair, I work on clocks mainly and have very little experience with pocket watches, this is an English Verge Fusee watch around 1840 and the fusee chain is broken, any suggestion or repair methods?
    Thanks in advance
    David
    DML Clocks NAWCC # 158433

Default How do i repair a Fusee chain? (RE: DML Clocks)

Hello fellow members, I have a pocket watch that was brought to me for repair, I work on clocks mainly and have very little experience with pocket watches, this is an English Verge Fusee watch around 1840 and the fusee chain is broken, any suggestion or repair methods?
    Thanks in advance
    David
    DML Clocks NAWCC # 158433

If you check the Bulletin on-line index, I recall some articles about chain repair. There are plenty of tips for fixing these interesting watches.

One article suggested using brass hairspring taper pins as rivet stock. This works well, I tried it. The brass taper pins are far easier to work with than steel pins. Though not exactly correct to do, historicaly speaking.

Replacement links and hooks can be made from pocket watch mainspring steel of the correct thickness. the holes can be made with a correct size punch in the staking tool. Some watch makers despair of fixing chains and obtain used ones instead. If you fix the old one or replace it with another one, watch out for chain length. If too short, the stop work will not engage properly and the chain hook will slip out of the main spring barrel. A condition leading to a grand surplus of creative profanity, which is not helped the least bit by the grinning mask of Cronus often engraved upon the balance bridges of these magnificently gilded obsessions.

Best regards,
    Greg

Thanks for the tips I will look in the bulletins, I had check some the back issues I have and did not find any tips on repair, I think the greatest fear is the unknown!!!

When working on fusee chains I find a large quantity of Valium is helpful.

Ed Ueberall
    NAWCC #49688
    Ed Ueberall
    The Escapement Home Page - Vintage Watch Restoration

Blog Entries

BUY AN UNBROKEN ONE FOR 20 BUCKS!

Jon Hanson, nawcc#8801
    President chapter 149

Well the good news is I was able to repin the hook and it feels good and strong and yet limber, now the next question, how in world do you get it wrap around the barrel and keep tension on it so the hook stays in and not lose you sanity!!!!!!
    David

Blog Entries

I've never done it, but you might try wrapping it around the fuzee first and then winding the barrell.

Tom McIntyre
    2nd VP Elect
    Tommy the JOAT's Web
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Oliver Mundy

I have a rule-of-thumb method which seems to work, and which I have described on my website at http://www.horologia.co.uk/watch_repair_1.html (scroll down to Section E).

Cort has correctly mentioned the need to put some initial tension on the assembly by turning the set-up ratchet (which is usually found under the dial) through a few notches. However, the squared end of its shaft is usually too small for any of the keys normally available. I have described an alternative method using a screwdriver.

Returning to the subject of repairing chains, one 19th-century source recommends breaking off the tip of an ordinary sewing-needle to serve as a rivet.

The Watch Cabinet

[This message was edited by Oliver Mundy on May 02, 2003 at 2:48.]

[This message was edited by Oliver Mundy on May 02, 2003 at 2:48.]

David,

Cort is right in his instructions. The problem is explaining how to do it. It is some what like trying to tell a 5 year old how to tie a shoe, easy once you have done it. a couple of things.
    1. align the part of the fusse where the chain hooks to the outside where you can see it.
    2. Drop chain behind the pillers and let it dangle.
    3. Hook chain to barrel. Hold tension with your thumb.
    4. wind barrel arbor with key that fits, making sure chain doe not over lap itself.
    5. when other hook is close to lower fusee, grab your 3c tweezers and hook chain to fusee.
    6. continue to hold thumb on mainspring barrel.
    7. Put a little tension on chain, Pick up previous set out click gear and put it on the arbor of the barrel. drop click to secure.
    8. Put 2-3 "clicks" of pre load on the mainspring and you should be all set.
    9. Wind as Cort said with caution first time ...

If I have confused you accept my apoligies.

John

Nice to see so many people have worked on chain Fusee watches. This thread could become a book if we posted some images with it.

I thought I might mention that often the fusee clicks are either shot or about to give-out. It's something to be checked with care. I think some people try to wind these watches the wrong way and damage the clicks. A few years ago I put a few out for sale. I glued an arrow on paper next to the winding arbour to be sure prospective owners would not try to wind them clock-wise.

Regards,
    Greg

What someone could do with a topic like this is to condense it to one post using quotes as needed to develop a repair procedure from the concensus.

kirxklox (Sam Kirk)
    Chapter 149 Member #100
    Web Horology MB

Barry Parker

These illustrations are from Diderot's Encyclope`die ou Dictionnaire raisonne`de Sciences, des Arts et Me`tiers, par une Socie`te` de Gens de Lettres, 1751 - 1772 and show the tools used and how chains were made in those days.

A simple, but often overlooked point worth remembering when replacing a hook or repairing a link, is to ensure that the hooks face the correct way before you insert the joining pin.
    You can easily become absorbed in the joining process and then find that you have to start again.
    Regards, Barry Parker

Barry Parker

Wow!!! I was suprised at the response this has received, well here is the update, I did get the chain wound thanks to the advice I received from here, but.... on the first wind one of the pallets broke off of the verge on the balance cock. Now the question is can I repair it or does someone know where I can buy another one, I am not that good with the small parts as it is let alone setting the timing on the pallet of the verge on this watch.
    Thanks again for all the help.

Well Gunther I thought it was a flag but I did not look at it close enough, the pallets or flags are both there, the problem is the escape wheel , there are several teeth that are shorter than the others and that was letting it skip after I started to wind it, I would guess a new wheel would be in order or try to refurbish this wheel. This maybe over my head to fix unless some one can give me a suggestion I have not thought of.
    Thanks for all the help so far.
    David