Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 5187 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Help to Describe Howard Pocket Watch for Auction Please

You have a Keystone Howard Series 7. In about 1903 the Keystone watch case company bough the Howard name, hence collectors distinguish between Boston (older) and Keystone Howards.

This is sometimes known as a 12/14 size as teh dial is oversized being an 14 size while the movement is a 12 size.

The regulator style is the later one with a straight spring rather than the more decorative whip shape.

The item is well described in Shugarts Complete Price Guide to Watches.

Although at the bottom of the product line of the time teh series 7 is still a very fine piece.

Dr. Jon

Default Help to Describe Howard Pocket Watch for Auction Please (By: Dr. Jon)

No offense, Laura, but you're asking us to lend the credibility of our organization to your auction without having the opportunity to handle the goods. There may be some who would be comfortable doing so, but I'd wager that many more would not be comfortable with that proposition.

I would certainly be uncomfortable if such an auction were to include verbage like "I checked with the NAWCC and they said...", or "I confirmed this information with the NAWCC". What you will get here (if anything) will be the opinions of individuals with varying degrees of expertise about Keystone Howards.

Now, with that said there is a lot of information about your watch that can be gleaned from these forum pages... and more still that can be gathered from other online and printed sources. Since ultimately you will be the one responsible for answering questions (in a timely fashion) from the prospective buyers, it would behoove you to gain some real knowledge about your watch before putting it up for auction. That should mean obtaining access to the sources of that information, not just getting some pseudo-expert opinion.

I know that isn't the answer you wanted, and I hope you understand why I (and some others) might not be comfortable giving you a direct answer in the format you requested. I certainly don't mean to snub you or offend you.

Regards,

- Greg

Ch.149 member #77

Laura:

The full title of the book is "Complete Price Guide to Watches, No 23," C. Shugart, T. Engle and R. Gilbert, Cooksey Shugart Publications, Cleveland, TN, 2003 (a new edition comes out each year in February. This book is available at libraries, most major bookstores and online at the NAWCC Gift Shop).

Good luck with your auction,
    Kent

That guy down in Georgia
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

GandalfPC

Certainly a claim of "I checked with NAWCC" wouldn't be appropriate (seeing that no individuals who reply here are NAWCC, but simply members of NAWCC) - but since we discuss ebay auctions here, pointing out how wrong, incomplete, or fraudulant the descriptions are in many cases (many times emailing the seller) - I would think that we should look forward to helping a listing be correct before it is posted as well.

Jason Goldman
    Apprentice Watchmaker

Steve Maddox

I can't add anything to the information provided above by Dr. Jon, but I will say that Laura's question doesn't bother me at all. She didn't violate any of the "rules" here by asking for an appraisal, and she was very upfront with the fact that she wanted the information for use in an auction.

To me, the fact that Laura came here seeking accurate information, indicates that she's doing her best to become an "informed seller," and for that, I think she deserves to be commended, as do those who were thoughtful enough to help her.

======================

Steve Maddox
    President, NAWCC Chapter #62
    North Little Rock, Arkansas

I agree with Steve. Laura should be commended for making a effort to be a informed seller. I feel that her request follows along with the mission statement of the NAWCC. Ebay would be a much better place if all sellers would make an effort to research their items before listing.
    RichG
    NAWCC #0157382

Maybe the ebay people should create a helper pointer for this type of problem and the NAWCC some air time.

Ariel
    Chapter 149 member