Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3052 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    TheBear843

Default Buying Rolex from Geneva (RE: TheBear843)

I would like to visit Geneva, Switzerland to buy a Rolex Explorer 2 watch. Is there an actual Rolex shop in Geneva, or can anyone recommend a reputable dealer.
    Thank you

TheBear843

Default Buying Rolex from Geneva

I would like to visit Geneva, Switzerland to buy a Rolex Explorer 2 watch. Is there an actual Rolex shop in Geneva, or can anyone recommend a reputable dealer.
    Thank you

Bucherer is a large watch retailer with shops in most Swiss cities, including Geneva. They carry most fine Swiss watches, including Rolex. Check out their website at:

http://www.bucherer.ch/en/locations.html

Be sure to obtain local prices for the watch you want to insure that you are getting a good price in Geneva.

TheBear843

I appreciate your advice Warren.
    I know that there is a Rolex shop in Geneva airport, perhaps they will be tax free prices? Ive also heard I can claim any tax back anyway through the Global Refund Card scheme, but I assume I am obliged to declare this at customs back in UK.
    Can anyone clarify these two points?
    Cheers

Blog Entries

TheBear83,

As part of your research, you should find out the very best price you can buy the watch for in your home market, taxes included. Then, when you are at the duty free shop, compare the MSRP with the MSRP in your home market, converted to your home currency. Compare the best price you can get it for in Geneva, converted to your home currency. Make certain that you are able to either buy it tax free, or to at least get your sales tax back. I doubt that a duty free shop anywhere in Switzerland is a cheaper place to buy anything, but of course I've been wrong before!

Most importantly, consider the duty you will have to pay going through customs when you get back, and include that in the Swiss purchase price! AND, bear in mind the cost if you get caught with it if you try to get it across the border without paying duty on it! You might lose the watch, AND have a fine to pay! If it were me, I'd buy at home!

TheBear843

Thanks for your advice Doug Sinclair. I will certainly consider your suggestions.
    I wonder, if I decide to pay the sales tax upon purchase instead of claiming it back, will that mean I have nothing to declare at customs on my return?

Thanks

Blog Entries

NO!

The tax you avoid paying in Switzerland is not applied by Great Britain! In order to encourage an alien to leave money behind, countries often forgive the sales tax which is applicable. When you return home, your government WILL NOT do that! You might get away with "smuggling" it in without paying tax, but Heaven forbid if you get caught trying it! By the time you get done with the government, you'll have more than paid the full sticker price for the watch, plus VAT, and you'll have no watch to show for it! Don't chance it! Can anyone suggest a way to get around all this?

Yeah, buy it here after shopping around for a good deal. The days of good prices abroad are long over. Ask anybody who has done international shopping, and they will tell you that, with a few exceptions, the best deals on the face of the earth are right here in the USA.

Wayne D.

Hi Bear and welcome to the Forum. I agree it'll probably be cheaper and safer to buy at home (UK), but what is also neat is if you do decide to buy one when you go to Geneva is that every time you look at the watch you'll have pleasant memories of your trip there and a story to tell when someone notices your Rolex. So you just may want to splurge and buy your watch there. Take care and good luck on your trip my friend.

Blog Entries

Another way would be to buy it in Geneva, save the Swiss sales tax, try smuggling it back home without paying duty, lose it and pay the fine, THEN watch for the auction where the feds offer the Rolex you bought in Geneva to the public, then buy it back! Wouldn't one have a story to tell? Buy it before you go, but make certain you register it with customs in Great Britain before you leave, because you may be asked to prove that you DIDN'T buy it abroad. If you are unable to prove it, you might STILL lose the watch. Remember, you are dealing with government bureaucracy administering laws even THEY don't understand sometimes. And if they want to throw the book at you, be ready to duck, because it is a VERY big book!

TheBear843

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thanks everyone.
    The only reson I want to buy it from Geneva is to add a story to the watches history, being as Rolex watches are made in Geneva. Plus my first child (boy) is due in September and when the watch eventually gets handed down to him, he can say "my father went to Geneva to get me this watch".
    What rate of tax/duty will UK customs apply when I return home??

Blog Entries

I'm sure a call to the Customs and Excise department of your government would give you an answer. Remember, if you buy in Geneva, VAT would be added to the after tax price in calculating what you will owe. And it is my understanding that the Swiss are governed by a law that stipulates that an item MUST be sold at the MSRP, and it is illegal to do otherwise! If you can work say a 10% discount at home, then pay the sales tax and the VAT, you might still be better off buying at home. Can anyone back me up on the existance of such legislation in Switzerland? You make your living at home, so BUY at home!