Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3187 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    trevor thomas

Default Rotary circuitboard

Hello ,I play around with clocks( the wind up type)as a hobby.Recently my wrist watch stopped,I thought battery,it had been in the watch for 5 years since new.I took it to my local watch repairer where he diagnosed that the insulation, where the battery fits had corroded away and that it required a new circuit board,at a cost of £47.The watch was around £100 new as a 60th birthday present from my wife so I decided to go ahead with the repair.Since I collected it it has stopped everyday or so and would not start when re set,but srarted on its own later.I returned it to the repairer he had it on test for a week and it never stopped for him, so he said,and he could not find an intermitent fault.needless to say it stopped ok for me, I tried to return it whist it was stopped but each time the damn thing started before I reached the shop.It is now running better but still stops for a couple of minutes every so often, and not to any regular pattern.can any one suggest what may be the problem.Regards, Trev

trevor thomas

Default Rotary circuitboard (RE: trevor thomas)

Hello ,I play around with clocks( the wind up type)as a hobby.Recently my wrist watch stopped,I thought battery,it had been in the watch for 5 years since new.I took it to my local watch repairer where he diagnosed that the insulation, where the battery fits had corroded away and that it required a new circuit board,at a cost of £47.The watch was around £100 new as a 60th birthday present from my wife so I decided to go ahead with the repair.Since I collected it it has stopped everyday or so and would not start when re set,but srarted on its own later.I returned it to the repairer he had it on test for a week and it never stopped for him, so he said,and he could not find an intermitent fault.needless to say it stopped ok for me, I tried to return it whist it was stopped but each time the damn thing started before I reached the shop.It is now running better but still stops for a couple of minutes every so often, and not to any regular pattern.can any one suggest what may be the problem.Regards, Trev

Blog Entries

Trevor,

I think your watch should have been cleaned when the circuit assembly was replaced. Some shops do, and some shops don't. You took your watch in to have it made so that it would RUN, and it doesn't run satisfactorily. The shop owes you a warranty job in my opinion, as they have left something undone.

trevor thomas

Thanks Doug.He recons until it stops long enough for him to asess it he can't do much.I just hope it stops properly before the 6 months warranty runs out,mind you I am keep having a go at him to keep him on his toes so to speak .Trev

Trevor, If your watchmaker can't get this one right, it might be time to send it to Rotary's UK service center and be done with it. Although one cannot diagnose a problem via email, the repairer should be able to solve your problem. If he cannot do it right within a reasonable time frame, you may be dealing with an incompetent person. Jake B.