Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1493 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Nick Timmins

Default Harding & Bazeley Spherical Weight Clock

I have a Harding & Bazeley Spherical Weight clock which I bought new around 34 years ago. I first had it cleaned and serviced by Thomas Mercer in Cheltenham and have recently left it with a local repairer for its second clean and overhaul. The repairer has cleaned and reassembled it, but is now having a problem making it work correctly. It ought to drop one weight every 2 hours 40 mins, evenly spaced as 9 over a 24 hour span, and that has always been the way it has behaved. However it now goes for many hours without dropping any weights, then drops several at once in a cascade.

I am not a clock maker or expert in any way, but I should be grateful if someone could give me some advice that I can pass on to the repairer (who I hasten to add is not web-literate).

Many thanks

Nick Timmins
    Edinburgh

Registered user.

Default Harding & Bazeley Spherical Weight Clock (RE: Nick Timmins)

Nick
    Is it worth getting in touch with Robert Bray?
    I think that Harding & Bazeley was run by Keith Harding; they later became Sinclair Harding and moved to West Yorkshire, as in the link above.
    HTH
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

Default Re: Harding & Bazeley Spherical Weight Clock (RE: Nick Timmins)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Timmins View Post
    I have a Harding & Bazeley Spherical Weight clock which I bought new around 34 years ago. I first had it cleaned and serviced by Thomas Mercer in Cheltenham and have recently left it with a local repairer for its second clean and overhaul. The repairer has cleaned and reassembled it, but is now having a problem making it work correctly. It ought to drop one weight every 2 hours 40 mins, evenly spaced as 9 over a 24 hour span, and that has always been the way it has behaved. However it now goes for many hours without dropping any weights, then drops several at once in a cascade.

I am not a clock maker or expert in any way, but I should be grateful if someone could give me some advice that I can pass on to the repairer (who I hasten to add is not web-literate).

Many thanks

Nick Timmins
    Edinburgh
    Hi Nick.

I also have one of these and the stop work mechanism has to be set to 3 1/2. Other wise you will encounter the problems you have described. If you are interested in selling it I am also in Edinburgh. stoo1959@gmail.com

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Harding & Bazeley Spherical Weight Clock (RE: Stuart Watkins)

Hi Stuart, welcome to the message board. Nick is unlikely to see your message, as he hasn't been active on the message board for 4 years, when he originally posted this question.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"