Month's Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 - (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4361 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Remington watch

Steve Kosovich

Default Remington watch

Anyone out there ever heard of this watch?
    couldnt find any info in Shugarts book.
    Who its made by? etc.
    Have one coming up at an auction,and I have never heard of that name.

Steve Kosovich

Default Remington watch (RE: Steve Kosovich)

Anyone out there ever heard of this watch?
    couldnt find any info in Shugarts book.
    Who its made by? etc.
    Have one coming up at an auction,and I have never heard of that name.

Steve Maddox

The name "Remington" was used on some models produced by New York Standard, but I don't think any of those were wristwatches.

I think I recall seeing very cheap wristwatches with the name "Remington" on them, but I'm not absolutely certain.

Hope this helps!

------------------
    Steve Maddox
    President, NAWCC Chapter #62
    North Little Rock, Arkansas

Steve Kosovich

Thanks Steve,
    was just curious as i had never heard of one.

I agree with Steve. I cannot remember ever seen a Remington wristwatch either. (Other than the cheap wristwatches that Remington Shaver company gave away with each Electric razor purchase a few years ago. Maybe this is what you have...)

The inexpensive Remington pocket watches though, were a part of the Cheshire/ Appleton group though weren't they? I do not believe they wre associated with New york Standard.

Jeff Hess

Steve Maddox

A little more "research" (in "American Pocket Watches, Identification and Price Guide," by Roy Ehrhardt), indicates that the name "Remington Watch Co." was used on complete watches sold through the "American Watch Club," which was operated by the "Walker Edmund Co.," of Cincinnati, Ohio. Movements were made by the Illinois Watch Co., in various grades from 15 to 21 jewels, and the cases were made by the Bell Watch Case Co., of Mansfield, Ohio. I doubt if these are particularly "rare," but I can't recall seeing any myself, and it would be my guess that they're among the most interesting of all possible "Remington" watches.

As is shown in Shugart's "Complete Guide?.," however, the name "Remington" was also used on at least one (fairly common) model of 16s, 11j New York Standard. Although the book doesn't show it, I'm 90% sure they were also available in a similar 12s model, and I think I have one of those (somewhere), but I have no idea where it is. Whether those have anything to do with the above-mentioned "American Watch Club," I have no idea.

As for a Cheshire / Appleton connection, it appears as though in 1901, a Mr. O.E. Bell (maybe the guy from the case company?) purchased the machinery of the defunct Cheshire Watch Co., and moved it to Appleton, Wisconsin, where he founded another "Remington Watch Co." The first products were shipped out in early 1902, and production continued through mid 1903. Both 16s and 18s movements were produced, in 11j, 15j, and 17j models, and during their year and a half in business, it's thought they made between two and three thousand movements (although serial numbers range from about 90k, through about 105k). While the name of Mr. Bell's company was the "Remington Watch Co." it appears as though most (if not all) the movements produced thereby, were marked "Appleton Watch Co., Appleton, Wis."

SM

Lindell V. Riddle

What a amazing storehouse of information our members share! Very impressive guys.

Lindell

Steve Maddox

Hey, what can I say?

Really, all it takes is a couple of $25 books, and it's easy to look like an "expert!"

Trust me -- I know! :biggrin:

SM