Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3775 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    jimbob2154

Default What is "RODICO"? (RE: jimbob2154)

I need help - a typical request from a newbie!! I am really new to the watch collect/repair hobby. I have ordered the typical small tools needed to work on mostly Pocket Watches (small screwdrivers, tweezers, hand removers, etc,) I bought a "set" of items off EBAY that had ALMOST all I thought I would need to get started. But, there is one thing in the set that I do not know what it is for. It is a small piece of bluish/green material, sort of like modeling clay, but much harder or stiffer - almost as hard as a pencil eraser, but it can be pinched off in little "hunks". It is about 2" long 3/4" wide and 3/8" thick, wrapped up in clear plastic wrap, and has a label that says "BERGEON RODICO" on it. I probably could have just asked "What is RODICO and gotten an answer. I'm sure it is for something obvious, but I just cannot figure it out. Please let me know. NOW, who is going to say "I'll answer the dummy's question." Thanks very much to whoever does. jimbob (:{

jimbob2154

Default What is "RODICO"?

I need help - a typical request from a newbie!! I am really new to the watch collect/repair hobby. I have ordered the typical small tools needed to work on mostly Pocket Watches (small screwdrivers, tweezers, hand removers, etc,) I bought a "set" of items off EBAY that had ALMOST all I thought I would need to get started. But, there is one thing in the set that I do not know what it is for. It is a small piece of bluish/green material, sort of like modeling clay, but much harder or stiffer - almost as hard as a pencil eraser, but it can be pinched off in little "hunks". It is about 2" long 3/4" wide and 3/8" thick, wrapped up in clear plastic wrap, and has a label that says "BERGEON RODICO" on it. I probably could have just asked "What is RODICO and gotten an answer. I'm sure it is for something obvious, but I just cannot figure it out. Please let me know. NOW, who is going to say "I'll answer the dummy's question." Thanks very much to whoever does. jimbob (:{

Hi Jimbob. Rodico is neat stuff. You can use it to clean dirt and grime or fingerprints off parts by pressing it onto them, kind of like erasing the dirt. Also it is great if you remove a jewel or skrew, you can press the rodico on it and it will press into it and then you lift it out of the movement. Better than having the jewel or small skrew fly through the room when you pinch the pliers too hard. It is reusable and lasts a long time.
    clock_girl
    Wisdom doesn't always come with age. Sometimes age comes alone.

jimbob2154

Deena, THANKS A LOT!!!!! That does sound like some good stuff. I just could not figure out WHAT it was for. Thanks again, jimbob (:{

It is a good product and it has many uses. There are two things to watch out for. Wiping
    up oil or grease tends to make Rodico a bit slimy. It is not a recommended use. I have seen nonworking watches that were stopped due to overzealous use of Rodico. It just wasn't meant as a replacement to cleaning!!
    The second warning is that it should not be used on a watch that is warm; say, perhaps, one fresh out of the cleaning machine. Again, the effect is that it becomes a bit slimey.
    Used properly and in moderation it is a very
    handy tool. I use it almost daily.
    -Cort

I have a gray glob of stuff that I bought a long time ago, and it is still usable. It was called "One Touch" and serves the same purpose. I see that Rodico's full name is Rodico One Touch. Has the green stuff superceded the gray stuff?
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174

jimbob2154

Thanks for all the responses. I have now tried the stuff and it really does work well. As for the green stuff superceding the gray stuff, I don't know. I got mine in a tool kit that just had an assortment of "things to get you started in watch cleaning/repair.
    Thanks again everybody,
    jimbob(:{

Gnomon

When I started working on watches, I used a kneedable artists eraser as a cleanup agent for fingerprints and small dust particles.

I use Rodico these days, but I can tell no difference other than the color. Rodico is green, and artist's kneedable erasers are usually grey.

-Chuck Harris.

Jerry,
    I know Rodico has been green since '86 or'87.
    If your grey stuff has been working that long I'd love to know where to buy some.
    Otto Frei's is now offering some new super
    putty that is billed as being stronger (stickier?) than regular rodico. I haven't tried it though.
    -Cort

Registered user.

It seem as thou the uses arent covered yet!

You can roll wheels in it to clean fine partical from the teeth and jab the pivots in just before reinstalling.

You can mop up oil with it, and then stretch it with your fingers several times and you have a new clean surfice to work with.

Hi Timerider. You know, my husband uses the rodico for his watches, but it never occured to me to use it on my clocks. Thanks for the tips. It will come in handy in my workshop too. Do you think he will notice a chunk missing?
    clock_girl
    Wisdom doesn't always come with age. Sometimes age comes alone.