Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3289 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Juan

Default About Cuckoo Clocks history (RE: Juan)

To all who may be concerned:
    Recently I sent a message to the Deutsches Uhrenmuseum (German clock museum)requesting a picture of the first cuckoo clock "invented" by Franz Anton Ketterer but Dr. Johannes Graf replied me this: "the story of the so-called first cuckoo clock by Franz Ketterer looks back upon a history of nearly 200 years. In 1810 Markus Fidelis Jaeck wrote in his book "Darstellungen der Industrie und des Verkehrs auf dem Schwarzwald" that Franz (Anton) Ketterer of Furtwangen invented the cuckoo clock around 1730. But this story cannot be true. Franz Anton Ketterer was born in 1734 and died in 1806. Ketterer could not have invented the cuckoo clock in 1730. So far as I know there aren't any remaining cuckoo clocks by Ketterer nor in the Deutsches Uhrenmuseum neither anywhere. Although it is clear that Ketterer could not have invented the cuckoo clock many people even today repeat that old fairy tale."

Juan

Default About Cuckoo Clocks history

To all who may be concerned:
    Recently I sent a message to the Deutsches Uhrenmuseum (German clock museum)requesting a picture of the first cuckoo clock "invented" by Franz Anton Ketterer but Dr. Johannes Graf replied me this: "the story of the so-called first cuckoo clock by Franz Ketterer looks back upon a history of nearly 200 years. In 1810 Markus Fidelis Jaeck wrote in his book "Darstellungen der Industrie und des Verkehrs auf dem Schwarzwald" that Franz (Anton) Ketterer of Furtwangen invented the cuckoo clock around 1730. But this story cannot be true. Franz Anton Ketterer was born in 1734 and died in 1806. Ketterer could not have invented the cuckoo clock in 1730. So far as I know there aren't any remaining cuckoo clocks by Ketterer nor in the Deutsches Uhrenmuseum neither anywhere. Although it is clear that Ketterer could not have invented the cuckoo clock many people even today repeat that old fairy tale."

I was always under the impression the cuckoo clock was "invented" in Switzerland. Switzer Deutsch of course
    "Find a need and fill it". Henry J. Kaiser

Greetings Juan -- The 1988 volume _Kuckucks Uhren_ by Mühe, Kahlert and Techen, then all of the Museum, and published by the Deutsches Uhrenmuseum (and Callwey) goes into some detail on the origins of the cuckoo in myth and supposition. Schaaf in _Schwarzwalduhren_ or _Holzräderuhren_ is especially good on other sources. For example, he notes that R. Dorer had pointed out -- back in 1948(!) --that FAK couldn't have been the "inventor" in 1730 as he wasn't born yet. Present German horo-scholarly opinion, in any case, as for example summarized by Bender in the most recent (1998) edition of the first volume of his standard work, _Die Uhrenmacher des hohen Schwarzwaldes und ihre Werke_ [pause for breath here, as those with STMemDef now leave us] is that the cuckoo clock was not native to the Black Forest. Those flogging authentic Black Forest cuckoo clocks, needless to say, prefer the myth that it was. And of course will fondle it further. Some weaving it webbily. But it's not as if they hadn't heard or didn't know. Juan, 'tis a fine thing indeed to get cuckoos on this MB in a serious way and you're to be thanked for it! Regards, Duck

Juan

Klosee, it is supposed they were invented in the southwest of Germany,in the Black Forest (Schwarzwald). Other people also believe they come from Switzerland because of films like The Third Man where Harry says: "In Switzerland they had brotherly love, 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long, Holly."
    Duck, so do you mean nobody knows where exactly the cuckoo clocks were invented? If you have more information I would be delighted to read it.
    Who knows, maybe they were not invented in Germany but of course no one can deny that the people from the Black forest have created this industry, developed it, creating new styles and bringing to the world this original and beautiful work of arts since 200 years ago. Still are operating firms like Anton Schneider (1848), Hubert Herr...

I didn't see "The Third Man"
    "Find a need and fill it". Henry J. Kaiser

Greetings Juan -- No, *I* don't mean that nobody knows where exactly the cuckoos were invented. Or that they were not invented in the Black Forest. Rather, that's basically what scholars like Gerd Bender and Schaaf have concluded. For specifics see e.g. 264-267 in Vol I (the most recent 1998 ed. ref'd above) for Bender. Schaaf reviews the "some 200 years" of discussion as to when and where the first cuckoos were made in his (1995) _Schwarzwalduhren_ (136ff) and provides his own research which leads to the earliest cuckoos being in the "Franken/Niederbayern" area, that is, in the direction of Bohemia which, he notes, lends credence to the Steyrer version. And in more detail (187-190) in his _Holzräderuhren_(1986). Both available e.g. from the Library & Research Center in Columbia. Regards, Duck.

Greetings all,

I don't even like cuckoos, cuckoo, cuckoo, cuckoo.......See below:

This is a close-up of the clock in the center, it is a quarter striking one, (4 descending notes on quarter etc....) C.1900 Approximatley 40" H not including weights.

I even repaired my first one today, cast lyre shaped plates, articulated bird, about 1875.
    (I have always refused to work on one until today). Clean, oil, Adjust, 13 bushings I hope it's still running in the AM !

Richard T.
    Best,
    Richard T.

Juan

Greetings,
    Duck, thank you for your valuable information!
    Richard, is it too complicated repairing a cuckoo clock?

Juan,

I'll answer that in a few days when I'm reasonably sure it is "repaired".

Richard T.
    Best,
    Richard T.

Juan

Greetings,
    I have selected the next data of the web site http://www.cuckooclockworld.com about the history of cuckoo clocks, I do not know where they have got the information: "...It must have happened around 1630 that a peddler who sold glass from the Black Forest to foreign countries, returned with a clock, perhaps from the land of Böhmen (today's Czech Republic). So the technique and the idea was born somewhere different – but the Cuckoo Clock as we know it today comes from the Black Forest."

Juan

Information selected from the site http://www.cuckoo-clock.de ; "...the origin of cuckoo clocks has never been clarified. There are two main fables from the 18th/19th centuries which tell conflicting stories about the origin of the cuckoo clock:

The first is from Father Franz Steyrer, written in 1796. He describes a meeting between two clock traders from Furtwangen (Schwarzwald) who while travelling met a Bohemian trader who sold wooden cuckoo clocks. Both of the Furtwangen traders were so excited at seeing this that they bought one. On bringing it home they imitated it and showed their imitation to other black forest clock traders. Popularity grew for the cuckoo clock in the region and more and more clock traders began producing them.

The second is related by another priest, Markus Fidelis Jäckle, in a passage from his report [In German "Darstellungen aus der Industrie und des Verkehrs aus dem Schwarzwald"] "Description of Industry and Traffic of the Black Forest" (1810);

The cuckoo clock was invented by a clock-master from Schönwald (Black Forest). This craftsman adorned a clock with a moving bird that announced the hour with the cuckoo-call. The clock-master got the idea of how to make the cuckoo-call from the bellows of a church organ.

As time went on, the second version became the more popular, and is generally the one related today."

Juan

Greetings,
    To the people who wants to know more about the history and evolution of the design of cuckoo clocks there is an interesting article by Helmut Kahlert published in the NAWCC bulletin of october 2001, probably some of you have read it.
    The Anniversary of a Grand Design--150 Years of Black Forest Bahnhäusle Clocks:
    http://www.nawcc.org/pub/articles/oct01/kahlert.htm
    http://www.nawcc.org/pub/articles/oct01/kahlert2.htm

Juan

Doctor Johannes Graf from Deutsches Uhrenmuseum sent me the next information about the cuckoo´s; The movement for the cuckoo call was installed in nearly all types of cuckoo clocks since the middle of XVIII century. A later design which became a special and popular (also today) variation of the Bahnhäusle style have been found recently to have originated in Furtwangen (Black Forest) in 1861, it was a cabin richly decorated with realistic carved leaves and hunting symbols representing a hunting scene. Look at the example in the picture of the detailed clock made by Beha;

Now, I would like somebody told me where the cuckoo clock "chalet" style comes from; Black Forest or Switzerland? and when was this design created? Thanks and feel free to add more information about history, design... of cuckoo clocks. Regards.