Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2802 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Need ID help: Kundo Junior or Midget?

Yes, yes, I know it looks like a disaster that's been sitting on a basement shelf for decades, but I was wondering if anyone might be so kind as to help identify this? I refuse to believe it's ready for the dumpster yet, it'll be good "practice" for me.

I'm not sure if it's a Kundo Junior or a Midget. Rear plate marked "Kundo, Kieninger & Oberfell, Made in West Germany, no (0) jewels unadjusted" Overall height is about 6 1/4 inches, rear plate itself about 1 3/4 wide by 2 3/4 tall.

Questions:

Is it a Midget or a Junior? (I'm guessing a Midget)
    Spring size? (I'm guessing .0023")
    Key Size? (3mm?)
    Approximate Production Date? (No idea)
    What is that spring on the top end of the pendulum, around the bottom block?
    Any special things to look for when resurrecting these?

Kind thanks for helping a new guy figure this out.

Default Need ID help: Kundo Junior or Midget? (RE: SanJoseMichael)

Hi Michael,
    Yes, that's a midget, but I don't have my book here to let you know more. The dome is hard to find in the smaller sizes.

Andy
    So many clocks, so little time.
    The International 400 Day Clock Chapter 168, Global Horology Chapter 192.

Yes, it appears to be the midget, plate 1382A. It uses a .0022" spring. It was made in the mid '70s. The adjusting nut works in the opposite direction from normal (tightening makes the clock run faster). It came with a plastic "snap in" spring guard.

Andy & 'Bug, big thanks! The spring guard is not plastic snap in, but brass and keyhole slotted to fit over screw heads on the back plate, then slide down, screws then tightened. I removed the guard to get a better photo of the back plate. I'll order up a .0022 and probably tear it down over the weekend.

By the way, what does the spring arrangement on the pendulum/lower block do?

Thanks again for your help. (And, what does Shutterbug shoot? RF, SLR, MF?)

hello ,i have the 1 kundo midget like your ,
    i think that the spring arrangement keeps there the pin that passes across bottom attack of the suspension spring

Gianluca

Thanks again for your help. (And, what does Shutterbug shoot? RF, SLR, MF?)
    Yes :biggrin:
    Gianluca has pegged the spring for you. Without it, the pin just falls out.

Hi there SanJoseMichael... Why don't you give us an update? Did you get this Midget working? Post a picture of the "after". It would be nice to see another Kundo that got rescued!

RB

A really nice clock. This is the last Pendulum locking mechanism that KundO developed. It was locked by lifting the pendulum up and moving the lever under the mvmt Base to the lock position. The Spring and Cup was to hold tension on the suspension spring when the mvmt was moved and the locking mech engaged.

Enjoy your Torsion Clock. The Domes for this model are slightly larger than the other midgets and do not interchange.

Default Re: Need ID help: Kundo Junior or Midget? (RE: SanJoseMichael)

Finally got it done... the .0022" spring was on backorder, and I was slow getting to it... The face was in bad shape, so for now I've just scaled and printed a .jpeg file, printed it on photo printer at the local one-hour photo. Yes, it's not authentic, no, I'm not concerned. I did save it from the heap!
    Click Here

This was fun... glass will be hard to find, so she runs naked for now...

Finally got it done... the .0022" spring was on backorder, and I was slow getting to it... The face was in bad shape, so for now I've just scaled and printed a .jpeg file, printed it on photo printer at the local one-hour photo. Yes, it's not authentic, no, I'm not concerned. I did save it from the heap!

This was fun... glass will be hard to find, so she runs naked for now...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MidgetB&A.jpg   MidgeB&A2.jpg  

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

SJM, it looks great. When the emart is back up and running, you could post a request for the dome. Or if you estimate the height required, along with the base diameter, maybe someone watching here might have one.
    The main reason you need one is to keep the dust out, otherwise you will need to clean it almost yearly.
    Your dial looks good with the paper, resembles a much older style.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"