Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2886 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default World's smallest clock?

I am posting three pictures of what must be one of the smallest clocks ever made. (The whole set of pics can be seen at the Flickr link.) It is 1 7/8 inches high. It has a pendulum movement, although the pendulum and verge are missing. I believe it had a "cow's tail" pendulum, swinging in front of the dial, like a German "Telleruhr." The post that extends from the front of the case above the dial has a square filed onto the end and a pivot hole. This must have somehow held one end of the verge arbor. The movement plates are pinned. The case is cast brass; the 5/8" dial is hand-painted porcelain. The original hands are also missing; the ones that appear in some of the photos are temporary replacements. There is no maker's name, just some initials of the dial painter on the back of the dial. (The dial is held in place by two of the finest pins I've ever seen.)

The clock was sold as a piece of doll-house furniture, but I don't know whether it was made for a doll house. Other doll-house clocks I've seen (except modern quartz ones) are not real.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Any thoughts on country of origin or date? Any idea what the verge should look like? The escape wheel teeth have flat, rather than pointed, ends.

The last of the three photos below shows this clock next to what I previously thought was the smallest pendulum clock--a Yale Clock Co. "Gem." At 3 inches, it is a giant by comparison.

World's Smallest Clock?

Jeremy
    Jeremy

Default World's smallest clock? (RE: Jeremy Woodoff)

I am posting three pictures of what must be one of the smallest clocks ever made. (The whole set of pics can be seen at the Flickr link.) It is 1 7/8 inches high. It has a pendulum movement, although the pendulum and verge are missing. I believe it had a "cow's tail" pendulum, swinging in front of the dial, like a German "Telleruhr." The post that extends from the front of the case above the dial has a square filed onto the end and a pivot hole. This must have somehow held one end of the verge arbor. The movement plates are pinned. The case is cast brass; the 5/8" dial is hand-painted porcelain. The original hands are also missing; the ones that appear in some of the photos are temporary replacements. There is no maker's name, just some initials of the dial painter on the back of the dial. (The dial is held in place by two of the finest pins I've ever seen.)

The clock was sold as a piece of doll-house furniture, but I don't know whether it was made for a doll house. Other doll-house clocks I've seen (except modern quartz ones) are not real.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Any thoughts on country of origin or date? Any idea what the verge should look like? The escape wheel teeth have flat, rather than pointed, ends.

The last of the three photos below shows this clock next to what I previously thought was the smallest pendulum clock--a Yale Clock Co. "Gem." At 3 inches, it is a giant by comparison.

World's Smallest Clock?

Jeremy
    Jeremy

Wow, holy crapola that is tiny. Probably not the tiniest (there's probably one out there that's smaller than a grain of rice), but certainly it's the smallest mechanical one I've seen in a long while.

It almost looks like a watch movement, but it's not.

Very neat.

It's called a Zappler. They are Austrian.

Zappler translated means fidget. The quick pace of the cowtail pendulum inspired the name...IMHO

Duck will probably comment.

old ref::Earlier discussion

I've seen smaller

Ralph

Thank you, Ralph. There it is in my book Country Life International Dictionary of Clocksunder "Zappler: A miniaturisation of the standing Telleruhr made in Austria. They are only about 2 in. high. The name is derived from the rapidly moving pendulum suggesting the German 'fidget.'" Elsewhere the book says they had a form of tic-tac escapement. The one pictured in the book sits on a base under a glass dome.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

"ZWERGEN UHR" vielleicht?
    Ach du lieber!

A much smaller Zappler, only 1.5-inch tall was sold sometime ago by a dealer . Below is the picture of that clock together with a brief catalogue discription of the clock. I believe there is a typo error in that description regarding the height of the clock in metric measurement.
    It should read either 4.0 cm or 40 mm

Mun C.W.

The smallest miniature Zapplers are 2 cm in size but Zapplers in general could get up to 12 cm or so. 'Zappeln' stands for moving fast and frequently as the short pendulums do. If a child were called a Zappler it would suffer from hypermotoric syndrome (as teachers call it nowadays).

Miniature Zapplers were in fashion in Vienna in the first half of the 19th c. An interesting variety is the 'Doppelzappler' (doppel = twin, dual, double) or Scherenzappler (Schere = scissors) having two pendulums swinging in opposite direction. A nice example of a Doppelzappler currently can be viewed at an Auction.

Robert N.