Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4022 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Advice Needed-Refinish Or Leave Be For Old Grandfather Clock? (By: popeye)

I am torn between refinishing or leaving be an old German Grandfather clock. I have spoken to two people and said not and to refinish. I am having someone repair the veneer. It is coming up on bonnet and sides. He recommended to do it. The veneer on sides is pretty dry, as well as on the bonnet. I am keeping clock and have no desire to sell. Can someone give some advice on what to do? Appreciated, thanks.
    Popeye-Love This Forum!!!

Default Advice Needed-Refinish Or Leave Be For Old Grandfather Clock?

I am torn between refinishing or leaving be an old German Grandfather clock. I have spoken to two people and said not and to refinish. I am having someone repair the veneer. It is coming up on bonnet and sides. He recommended to do it. The veneer on sides is pretty dry, as well as on the bonnet. I am keeping clock and have no desire to sell. Can someone give some advice on what to do? Appreciated, thanks.

Default Advice Needed-Refinish Or Leave Be For Old Grandfather Clock? (By: popeye)

The clock appears to be in excellent original condition. I would not even CONSIDER "restoring" the case. I would work with all original material so far as possible, replacing only veneer that is missing and blending to old material. I think it would be sacrilege to strip and refinish.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Popeye, I would first give the wood a good cleaning, and see what that gives me. Quite often that (and a wax job) is all that is needed to make it look good. If you have been reading old posts, you will know that hide glue is recommended for re-gluing veneer. Find out what the fellow doing the restoration is using.
    Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

I agree with Scottie. I'd do nothing to the finish that would disturb it. A pigmented paste wax would help freshen up and protect the look of the finish.
    Harold's got the right idea on veneer. I'd specify that my repairman use hide glue or select another repairman that will.

If you're not fussy over the condition of the original finish, there are ways to simply "refresh" it. Look for a recipe on the web for a "reviver" for furniture. It's usually a mix of something like turpentine, linseed oil, etc... I have one somewhere in a restoration book if you're interested just ask/e-mail/PM me.

Sooth
    Turps, linseed oil and vinegar - equal proportions.

Popeye
    Clock looks absolutely fine as it is! :biggrin:
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society. :o

I always have good results using 0000 steel wool and Murphys Oil soap or Lemon oil and CAREFULLY rub the exsisiting finish until all the grime, etc. is gone leaving the orignal finish with the graining of the wood showing through. Be carful not to rub too hard, or you could remove the finish.

A little Go-Jo waterless handcleaner and a scotch brite pad and some light rubbing should be all you need to clean it. Then try a little shoe polish that matches the wood color and you will be happy with the results. I would use a little care in removing the duct tape from the door though. Good looking clock!

Blog Entries

DB's on the right track; I use Kotton Kleanser as it melts away the old wax and dirt. After that, a coat or two of Antiqwax will really bring out the grain.

If you use steel wool or Scotch brite, just be gentle lest you rub through the finish.

A big point, even though you're keeping the clock, is that "restoration" will reduce the value of the clock to a collector. Down the road (to your family if not you) this will be a major consideration.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Thanks for the replies. I spoke with him. He is going to clean it up. There was veneer work that had to be done. The bonnet was coming up on the side and was split all along the sides. There is some glue showing. He is going to clean that up and try to put wax on, if not he said he will shelac. As far as the ase the sides veneer was coming up and pretty dry. He said again to "brush" it out and wax, if not veneer, I agather this is resoring rather than refinish. Does this reduce the value? Thanks agin.

nah your still keeping it original pretty original and repairing whats necessary.

ive seen far worse clock finish brought back to life without stripping it.