Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2768 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Victoria

Default Need info about Elaine Watch Co.

Have Googled the name to no informative result. I have a lovely antique wristwatch that my grandfather tagged "L. Elaine Watch Co."

I have pictures that I can post later on, but for now I'd like to know where I can learn more about the company.

Wayne D.

Default Need info about Elaine Watch Co. (RE: Victoria)

Hello Victoria, there were so many Swiss generic watch companies back then and this is probably why you can't find any info on it. The movement may have a clue though. Are there three small letters ingraved on it? These are Swiss import code initials and may give a clue to the major watch company that made it. Have a Happy New Year.

Victoria

Happy New Year to you! Thanks for the suggestion. I don't see three small letters, but there are four letters engraved on the works. I posted photos below. Perhaps you or someone could tell me what they mean? They appear to be "A,F" and "R,S"

The inside of the case back reads: "ElginGiant Watch. Co., USA Guaranteed 14K gold filled 25 years Double Stock 3815338 10 1/2 "

Wayne D.

Hello again Victoria, the AF, RS on the movement is for the regulator. If your watch is running slow you move that pointer towards AF (advance, fast) and if your watch is telling the time too fast you move the pointer towards RS (retard, slow). Your watch regulator is pointing right down the middle now so your watch, if it is running and keeping perfect time as of now, is in perfect running order.

Victoria

Duh, of course that's the regulator! Silly me. Still new to this watch stuff.

Want to venture any guesses on rough time period of manufacture?

Thanks. All of the NAWCC folks have been so wonderful and helpful in my ongoing watch exploits.

Victoria,

That's a nice little watch, and is pretty typical of the mid 1920s, give or take a couple of years. I have quite a few like it, with Swiss and American movements, and in several different case metals.

Enjoy,

Cary
    Cary Hurt

Victoria

Thank you very much for the info! Much appreciated.

Wayne D.

I'll agree with Cary on the date of your watch Victoria. Have fun wearing and showing it off!