Month's Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 - (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2913 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Leanne D

Default Help on identifying Movado Pocket Watch

Hi,
    I have a Movado Pocket watch, the movement is marked as follows: Movado Factories, Swiss Made, unadjusted, seventeen jewels, AR & FS, and under the balance are the numbers 540 (maybe serial no.). Its case is marked Movado,Wordsworth, 14kt Gold, T617289 and 45483.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me anymore information on the watch (e.g when it was made, if it is a high quality pocket watch), or a least a good website where I could find this information myself. So far I have been very unsuccessful with my search.

Thanks Leanne

Please, Please, Please help me

Leanne D

Default Help on identifying Movado Pocket Watch (RE: Leanne D)

Hi,
    I have a Movado Pocket watch, the movement is marked as follows: Movado Factories, Swiss Made, unadjusted, seventeen jewels, AR & FS, and under the balance are the numbers 540 (maybe serial no.). Its case is marked Movado,Wordsworth, 14kt Gold, T617289 and 45483.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me anymore information on the watch (e.g when it was made, if it is a high quality pocket watch), or a least a good website where I could find this information myself. So far I have been very unsuccessful with my search.

Thanks Leanne

Please, Please, Please help me

Hello Leanne,
    welcome to the NAWCC Message Board!

Hmm, some specific technical details of your Caliber 540:
    Dm=38mm (17" Paris lign.),
    H=3.70mm,
    17 Jewels,
    18.000 HBeats,
    Monometallic Screw-Balance,
    mostly with Geneva stripes,
    Swiss made (1934-1966) MOVADO Factories

The serial numbers are almost at the dialside of the movement. Also in 2 positions Adjusted (for the US market sold as Unadjusted in fact of US punitive tariff).

The case engravings should be from "Wadsworth" (A picture here of the movement and the watch itself would say more than 1000 words - have a look and search for "picture online")

The best source for MOVADO watches is the impressive book "MOVADO History", written by Mr.Fritz von Osterhausen (1996 Callwey). ISBN 3-7667-1209-8

Sending you my best regards to Australia
    Tony

The Osterhausen book is excellent but will not tell you much about your watch. What it will tell you about some really high grade watches Movado made and how to spot them.

For a period they competed in the timing trials at Neuchatel and beat some very prestigious makers. This is in the Osterhausen book.

Wadsworth was an American Case Maker so it was cased in the US.

As Nachmotte wrote, unadjusted was an understatement of quality to avoid a punitive tariff. He also stated that this caliber was made in the Movado factory. Their movements had a characteristic shape to the bridge that holds the teh last three wheels in the train.

I don't know of any other web site that does Movado. They have gone mass market and do not attract the following of some of the other makes. This is probably the best site, at least in English. You should also check eBay listings for some information. It is written by sellers so it need to considered carefully but I have learned a lot from such descriptions.

Leanne D

Thanks Dr Jon and Nachtmotte. I had started to wonder if anyone was going to reply. It unfortunately has a grogan dial not a movado one but I still like it.

I think your right about "Wadsworth", I thought it sounded funny. I would love to get a book for identifying pocket watches, but down here in Australia there not very popular and some cost over $100. I might buy one online, except the shipping almost cost as much or if not more than the book. I might be able to get my grandparents from the US to bring me one when they come to visit.

Here are some pictures:
    Movement

https://sps.loretonh.nsw.edu.au/personal/leanne_dolan/M...ba_1.jpg[/IMG][/url]

CAse

]https://sps.loretonh.nsw.edu.au/personal/leanne_dolan/My%20Pictures/Movado%20(Grogan%20Co)%20Pocket%20Watch/1d_1.jpg[/IMG]<A HREF="http://%5BIMG" TARGET=_blank>

Dial

[URL=]</A>

More Pics..

https://sps.loretonh.nsw.edu.au/personal/leanne_dolan/M...3-8F98-8D8EFC4E659A}

I would take some close ups of the movement, but I don't have the right tools to open up the back case and I don't want to scratch it.

Thanks again for your time and I hope these will help a bit more, maybe we could find out when it was made.

Leanne Dolan [URL=[IMG]

Leanne D

Sorry the links for the individual pictures don't work so use the url under - more pics....

There you can see all of them, if you click on them you can see the bigger photo.

Thanks again

Leanne Dolan

Your links require a password. A URL with https are usually secure and require a password (I tried them anyway).

Hello Leanne,
    as you and Dr.Jon told, a password is for all links required.
    Otherwise you could send us private messages with the pictures as attachement, couldn´t you?
    So maybe one might to show these pics...
    Best regards
    Tony

Leanne D

Sorry for the delay, I have been busy with school. If either Dr. Jon or Nachtmotte could give me an email address that would probably be the easiest way to show the pictures to someone because I am fairly new to this.

Thanks alot

Leanne