Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3885 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Odd & Interesting Things found in clocks... (By: Arthur Cagle)

It's common to find old containers that once held "lubricating" coal oil, but what are the most curious things you've found in clocks?

I bought a ca. 1842-45 cottage clock recently, and when I removed the face for a look at the lyre movement, out fell a small folded piece of a newspaper column that referred to an assistant of Mr. Edison responding to an editorial about him. I have no idea what it was doing in there, but it was apparently wedged between the front plate and the dial...must have been there since the early 1900s.
    Regards,
    Art

Default Odd & Interesting Things found in clocks...

It's common to find old containers that once held "lubricating" coal oil, but what are the most curious things you've found in clocks?

I bought a ca. 1842-45 cottage clock recently, and when I removed the face for a look at the lyre movement, out fell a small folded piece of a newspaper column that referred to an assistant of Mr. Edison responding to an editorial about him. I have no idea what it was doing in there, but it was apparently wedged between the front plate and the dial...must have been there since the early 1900s.
    Regards,
    Art

Registered user.

I found an aluminum baseball token in the bottom of an ansonia ogee i was cleaning out. The player featured was from the 30's.

Registered user. Mike306p/Ansoniaman's Avatar

Cool stories maybe the newspaper was keepsake, Art. Fume. What is the token made of wood or metal ? Did they have plastic back then?Bakelite ? Who is the player ? I never saw one . Can you post a photo beside the clock of coarse. Mike
    Former New Clock Acquisitions Moderator AKA Mike 306p/Ansoniaman

kenknox

I was on a Howard Miller service call a few weeks ago to set up a grandfather clock that had been just been moved and they couldnt get it running. I opened up the clock door just as the lady of the house came running in and grabbed a big box of condoms from the bottom of the case. She was so embarrased and ran out of the room with them spilling them on the floor along the way. I will never forget the look on her face and how hard it was for me not to make any smart a** comments.

Kenny

Went to a house to service a tall case clock, opened the door, saw the barrels of a sawed-off shotgun staring at me. Customer says "Gee I'm sorry". I said "you got that right" and left. Another time I found at least 50 pre-1900 silver dollars in weights. Customer didn't know they were there. His father was a coin collector and must have hidden them there. He was very thankful and gave me one.
    Mike C.
    aka clock whisperer

During Prohibition, the bottom of a grandfather clock was a popular place to store one's "hooch". Of course you'd have to wind the clock twice a week and hope the weights would never fall. What a mess that would make! Now I'm talking about something well before my time, but I understand the practice to some extent continues today. And occasionally, old bottles do turn up down there.

I found a few marijuahna seeds in the bottom of mine. No lie. I searched every crevis after that. All in vien.

RJ
    The bitter the challenge, the juicy the reward.
    Conquest->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV0F_XiR48Q

Good thing it wasn't coke, that could have been in vein too!
    Mike C.
    aka clock whisperer

Blog Entries

I recently put a twenty dollar bill in my Fashion 4 secret compartment so someone would find it a hundred years from now.

Blog Entries

I did a house call on a Howard Miller grandfather clock. Very nice lady; I really liked her. Inside the clock, however, were some of her husband's ashes, a final beer for him and some mementos of his life. He really loved the clock, so I didn't mind at all. In fact, the clock stopped chiming for a while, so I told her to ask her husband to stop messing around with it!

Now, that's a bit nasty.

Use to have a neighbor (Iron worker) he had a bud that shot up.

I had nothing to do with that! But, I watched him do it once.

He used an old dirty matchbook strike pad to sharpen the needle.

To this day I still wonder if it really did sharpen the needle.

Glad those days are gone. He's probably dead or preachin I suppose.

RJ
    The bitter the challenge, the juicy the reward.
    Conquest->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV0F_XiR48Q

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

I was repairing a wall clock in a high school cafeteria about ten years ago. Something about the 6 didn't look right. When I opened the back of the clock, I found a surveillance mini-camera, and a hole cut in the 6. It was aimed at the cash register. When Dick Tracy installed the camera, he crowded it in so much, the correction on the clock was frozen by it.
    Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

This is what I am collecting that I find WOW

Here's a story about money found in a clock.

In my article on time recorders in NAWCC Bulletin 354 (page 57) there are three of the many odd questions I received on time recorders and my odd answers back. I reproduce those three questions and answers below, along with one that was edited out of the published article by a reviewer:

Do you get many strange or odd questions about time recorders? What are some of them?

My wife would say that every question about time recorders is oddóhow could anyone be interested in them? Yes, I get some questions that I consider to be odd or jokes, but after one experience I relate below, I now treat every question as if it were serious. Here are my favorites:

Q: I want to hang my time recorder in the kitchen as we spend a lot of time there. My wife says it belongs in the basement. What should I do?
    A: Happy wife, happy life. Hang it in the basement.

Q: My great uncle married a woman whose maiden name was Bundy. Is she related to Harlow Bundy, the founder of Bundy Manufacturing? (No additional information was provided)
    A: In the sense that Iím related to him as well through Adam and Eve, I can unequivocally say yes. May I suggest you do a little genealogical research as there are many Bundys?

Q: My wife has trouble getting her chores done. Many times I come home from work and dinner is not ready and the house has not been cleaned because she says the kids have kept her busy. Do you think it would help if I asked her to time her work with my job recorder so that she could become more efficient?
    A: Have you checked your Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance policy lately?
    Reply: (Not printable)

I always assumed that those sending me questions like these intended to be funny, until this exchange:

Q: I found an envelope containing $500 behind the movement in a time recorder I bought years ago and just took apart to get running. Who does the money belong to? May I keep it?
    A: No, you need to send it to me. I have a contract with IBM that all money found in ITR recorders is mine.

So that should be it, right? No, hereís how it continued:

Reply: I find that highly unethical. IBM has no right to award you this money. They sold the clock 80 years ago and the money is in Federal Reserve Notes which werenít even printed then.
    My Reply: IBM actually prints the Federal Reserve Notes so thatís why they could agree to this contract. Please send me the money.
    Reply: Youíre lying just to get the money. Iím going to let the director of the NAWCC know so that no more of your articles get published. I knew you were evil when you put a picture of Satan in your last article.

From then on I have always answered questions as if they were serious even if they didnít appear that way to me.