Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3277 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default 8 day regula cuckoo clock.

hi:after my aunt passaway in may oo5, i was will her old cuckoo clock.it has an old reula movement in it. all i know that her dad got it from his dad when she was 12. and when she pass on she was 72. granpaw would always clean it and oil it, till he passaway, in 71. then my aunt would take care of the clock, then she would bush it by hand. and she would use solder to hold in the bushings. here is my questions, the movement is gone,i tryed to bush it, but, it work.this movement, gose right to the back of the front. the new reuglas have little wood blocks that the movement is scewed to; will i have any probluims putting a new movement in there? thanks randy

Default 8 day regula cuckoo clock. (RE: randy laham)

hi:after my aunt passaway in may oo5, i was will her old cuckoo clock.it has an old reula movement in it. all i know that her dad got it from his dad when she was 12. and when she pass on she was 72. granpaw would always clean it and oil it, till he passaway, in 71. then my aunt would take care of the clock, then she would bush it by hand. and she would use solder to hold in the bushings. here is my questions, the movement is gone,i tryed to bush it, but, it work.this movement, gose right to the back of the front. the new reuglas have little wood blocks that the movement is scewed to; will i have any probluims putting a new movement in there? thanks randy

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Hi Randy. The new movement should work, but the hands may stick out too far unless you add a couple of blocks of wood to set them back. If you measure the distance from the plate to the end of the minute hand shaft, the new ones are 1 3/4 inches. Check what yours is.
    Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Randy

Also look to see if the chain holes line up with new movement. You may have to do some carpentry work on the case to get the chain holes to line up.

Tom
    "Find a need and fill it". Henry J. Kaiser

Mark A. Butterworth

If the old unit was a Regula, then the new Regula should fit the same as the old and blocks should not be needed. We have them. Contact me if intersted.

hi:thanks, the old movementis much larger then the new movement, the scew holes do not line up,the time chain holes match but the cuckoo chain holes do not, this clock case is real old ,the wood is so touchy, iam afaid its gonna brake it real dry. so, i thinking maybe there is another old movement, that i can buy, that might not be too far gone, that i can put in it, the movement is regula,it has the brid left wire on the right side of the movement, it has a locking cam that has a spring as the cuckoo strikes this locking holds the the staff in locking till the cuckoo stops, then the door closes.it has a squair mint hand tub, and the hour hand has a round deal the holds the hand in place (the hand nut, must be tight on it, it will run but the hands won't move,till the hand nut is tight. the chain wheels are not like to days chain wheels are, the are steel round gears. the pendlium verge has a long flate piece the had the slit for the pendluim hanger to go feed thew. the weights are 1260's very short pendluim stick 4'inc long with large green maple leafe on it.. thanks, i will send the reugla movement number, shortley..thanks randy.