Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2872 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    RoGuE

Default Seiko, Lucien Piccard, Bulova

(In order from left to right) I have a Seiko Sportsman Diashock, Bulova Sea King, and a Lucien Piccard Seashark. The only watch that works is the Seiko, except everytime I try to turn the crown backward to change the date, it unscrews from the watch.

As for the Lucien Piccard, I can feel the self winding mechanism moving around, but it doesn't run and the crown has been broken off. The Lucien belongs to my father and I just asked him about it and he said it stopped working long ago. I can't seem to get it open though because the is no back to pop off. I assume it is sealed somehow because it says on the back between the lugs, "Deep Water Pressure Tested".

The Bulova broke many years ago and I can see why. The spring on that big flywheel looking thing broke.

Could someone tell me the dates on these and if they are rare or even desired?

Thanks

RoGuE

Default Seiko, Lucien Piccard, Bulova (RE: RoGuE)

(In order from left to right) I have a Seiko Sportsman Diashock, Bulova Sea King, and a Lucien Piccard Seashark. The only watch that works is the Seiko, except everytime I try to turn the crown backward to change the date, it unscrews from the watch.

As for the Lucien Piccard, I can feel the self winding mechanism moving around, but it doesn't run and the crown has been broken off. The Lucien belongs to my father and I just asked him about it and he said it stopped working long ago. I can't seem to get it open though because the is no back to pop off. I assume it is sealed somehow because it says on the back between the lugs, "Deep Water Pressure Tested".

The Bulova broke many years ago and I can see why. The spring on that big flywheel looking thing broke.

Could someone tell me the dates on these and if they are rare or even desired?

Thanks

None are extremely rare, although all three are collectible. I especially like the Bulova. All three would probably be worth getting repaired.

Respectfully,
    Fifty Fathoms

RoGuE

I had my scanner out again for something else so I figured I would scan the movements. The first is the Seiko. It has a very modern look inside that watch. I still don't don't know how to get the Lucien Piccard open other than I guess you take out the glass? Second is the Bulova. The red line I drew is parrelel to a thin stip of metal held down my one screw and it sits elevate. What is it? When I opened the back I noticed it was all bent out of shape. And the yellow is obviously where the broken spring is.

Seiko

Bulova

RoGuE

Anyone know how much it would cost to replace the spring in the Bulova?

AnthonyR

The part parallel to the red line is part 11BLC#93 - "Friction spring for sweep second pinion", it should be applying a certain amount of preasure to the end of the sweep second pinion that protrudes from the center of the ruby near the top of your red line.

The "broken spring" is the hair spring, are you sure it's broken?

RoGuE

So that strip of metal should be touching that pinion? Is that why the second hand moves so easily when you touch it? It is nowhere near touching it it is so bent.

The hair spring is definitely broken. I saw a piece of it sticking up.