Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3335 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default A.N.Anderson pocket watch

Hello,
    To answer your question we need more information. If you can scan or digitally take a picture of the movement so we can read the serial number we can tell you all of the facts.

A. N. Anderson was a raidroad inspector in Minnesota( I think). He ordered watches from several different companies and had his name put on the dials and some movements.

Good Luck
    Jim Haney

Default A.N.Anderson pocket watch (RE: Jim Haney)

As Jim said a photo or scan would be the best, but if you can't post this than a full listing of the markings including serial number on the mechanism of the watch (not the watch's case) may be enough to aid in identification.

Fred
    Fred Hansen
    NAWCC #109682

Hi 113song:

Welcome to the NAWCC Pocket Watch Message Board!

I believe that A.N. Anderson was a distributor. The Hamilton records indicate that large numbers of watches were sold to the firm, although only a very small portion were privately labeled for them. As Jim mentioned, the firm may have also performed watch inspection services for one or more railroads. The book "Railroad Watch Inspectors," Greg Frauenhoff, Sedalia, CO, 2000 (available at this Link To Greg’s Books) lists Anderson's Jewelry, St. Paul, MN as watch inspectors for the Burlington Northern in 1974. This may be a descendant company, but since Anderson is a common name in those parts, it may be completely unrelated.

A.N. Anderson contracted with a number of watch companies for privately labeled watches. The August 2004 issue of the NAWCC Bulletin has pictures of a Hamilton grade No. 946 bearing a dial signed "A.N. Anderson - Extra" (pages 537-8). More pictues of Hamilton grades 946 and 947 with dials signed the same way will be appearing in the April 2005 issue. That issue will also show a different "A.N. Anderson - Extra" dial on a 18-size, 23-jewel Longines Express Monarch. I believe that the June issue will show an A.N. Anderson dial on an 18-size, 17-jewel Hampden New Railway. "American Pocket Watches Beginning to End...1830-1980, Identification and Price Guide," Roy Ehrhardt & William Meggers, Jr., Heart of America Press, Kansas City, MO, 1987 (commonly referred to as "The Gold Book" - A new edition is still in print, see Heart of America Press) lists Illinois watches bearing the A.N. Anderson name, along with another grade of Hamilton watches. Not all "A.N. Anderson" labeled watches are railroad grade, although quite a few seem to be.

As Jim and Fred have said, it would be helpful if you could post a picture of the movement (the "works"), the clearer and sharper, the better. We may be able to identify it by the shape of the plates and by the serial number. Of course, if you're just reading the name off of the dial, you may find the movement manufacturer's name on the movement when you open the case. In trying to open the watch, you might find the information in "How To Open A Pocket Watch Case" useful.

For an open-face, screw back & bezel cased watch you can get good results by placing the movement on a flatbed scanner. A hunting-case movement, or an open-face movement in a hinged case would have to be removed from the case for this to work. Otherwise, it’ll have to be a digital camera, or a scan of a photograph.

Larry Jones has written up a useful article on Image Posting, which may be helpful.

Or, when you click on the Reply button, at the lower right-hand corner of the bottom post in a thread, the Reply To: box that opens has a text box. There is an "Upload an image" link just below the text box, on the left-hand side. Clicking upon the "Upload an image" link will open a field that allows you to select a picture file to attach to your post. Use the Browse button to navigate to the location in which the picture file resides on your disk drive and select it. Since this only permits one picture per reply, you can reply once for each picture.

If you have a problem posting the picture(s), you can attach it (them) to an e-mail to me (you can get my email address by clicking on my name in the upper left-hand corner of this post and viewing my Public Profile) and I'll post it (them) for you.

Its also helpful if you can post all the markings that are on the movement (the "works") in case they can't be seen in the picture(s).

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Everything you have just posted is consistent with this watch being an Illinois Watch Co. product marked for A.N. Anderson.

More specifically your watch would be an 18 size, Model 6, grade 64 made by the Illinois Watch Co. in about 1898. According to the Illinois database (available through NAWCC Ch. 149) Illinois made some 15 thousand plus watches in this specific grade and configuration between about 1895 and 1904. But of these most carried either factory markings or a multitude of other "private-label" markings.

The Illinois Watch Co. made a number of watches around this time marked for A.N. Anderson, and the grade 64 was one of his favorites and I have seen these 18 size grade 64 Anderson watches in 24, 21, and 17 jewel. Anderson also had 15 jewel watches marked for him by Illinois in the 18 size grade 51 and 16 size grade 173. There may also be other Illinois Anderson marked grades, but so far these are all I have seen.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures ...

Fred
    Fred Hansen
    NAWCC #109682

As Kent mentioned, A.N. Anderson of Minneapolis contracted for watches from a number of companies, including Illinois. There is an interesting story about one of his ventures that is reported in the Illinois Watch Co. factory newsletter (sorry, but I don't recall the date or issue). The story tells about how he bought 100 Illinois watches and took them to Vancouver to resell. While the crate of watches was being unloaded from a ship in the harbor, the crate fell into the water. He immediately contracted with a diver to salvage the crate, placed the watches in a barrel of kerosene to retard the effects of saltwater, and had the barrel shipped back to Springfield to see if any could be saved. Unfortunately, the salt water had already taken its toll, and all the watches had to be scrapped.

The story dates from the early 20th century.

Russ