Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3231 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    watchalways

Default tiny coiled spring...where does it belong?

Hi there,
    After about 15 years I finally had to replace the battery in my ancient Casio Work Out Jog and Walk Calorie counting watch. After removing four screws on the back cover and meticulously noting that there was a spring protruding up above the plane of the watch mechanism I went about the job of removing the old CR2016 battery. Eventually I figured out how to remove a thin metal cover or retaining plate that held the battery in place with six "snaps" on four sides. Not only did this cover hold the battery in place but it also held two halves of the digital mechanism together. Remarkably one spring was still standing up...but not for long. What intrigued me was that I found an additional tiny coiled spring...one that I had not seen on opening the back of the watch. These two coiled springs differed in design. The one that I successfully replaced in its original position had a piece of wire extending off one end which allowed it to be secured into place when the two halves were brought together and the thin metal retaining plate snapped into place. As for the other tiny coiled spring (it has no such piece of wire extending off of either end) I have no idea where it came from. It's absence has definitely affected the function of the watch--which functioned perfectly before the battery died. I did use a small piece of wire to connect the "AC" to the back of the new battery for a second or two and this did clear up the nonsense on the display however I am unable to adjust the date or time. The beeping sound does work, occasionally, which is another problem which has me mystified.

Is there anyone out there who can help

watchalways

Default tiny coiled spring...where does it belong? (RE: watchalways)

Hi there,
    After about 15 years I finally had to replace the battery in my ancient Casio Work Out Jog and Walk Calorie counting watch. After removing four screws on the back cover and meticulously noting that there was a spring protruding up above the plane of the watch mechanism I went about the job of removing the old CR2016 battery. Eventually I figured out how to remove a thin metal cover or retaining plate that held the battery in place with six "snaps" on four sides. Not only did this cover hold the battery in place but it also held two halves of the digital mechanism together. Remarkably one spring was still standing up...but not for long. What intrigued me was that I found an additional tiny coiled spring...one that I had not seen on opening the back of the watch. These two coiled springs differed in design. The one that I successfully replaced in its original position had a piece of wire extending off one end which allowed it to be secured into place when the two halves were brought together and the thin metal retaining plate snapped into place. As for the other tiny coiled spring (it has no such piece of wire extending off of either end) I have no idea where it came from. It's absence has definitely affected the function of the watch--which functioned perfectly before the battery died. I did use a small piece of wire to connect the "AC" to the back of the new battery for a second or two and this did clear up the nonsense on the display however I am unable to adjust the date or time. The beeping sound does work, occasionally, which is another problem which has me mystified.

Is there anyone out there who can help

Blog Entries

watchalways,

Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board@!

I'd say this is a pretty difficult remedy to suggest without a picture of the "innards" of your watch and the spring you refer to, to start with. Can you send pictures? If you have difficulty, look to the CLOCKS section of this message board for instructions as to how to go about posting pictures.

4piet1

hello,when removing the metal clip dit the two halves of the digital mechanism came apart?the little spring may be an contact spring between these parts. show us pictures if you can .
    greetings piet

watchalways

I would love to post pictures but that is another story for a camera repair forum. To make a long story longer my only digital camera is the HP 635 "Photosmart" that I received "free" with the purchase of my Compaq Presario computer. Besides being a hog for battery power which apparently is common to all digitals) the view screen suddenly ceased to function when I started using 2100 maH rechargeable NiMH batteries. Maybe I can sell it on eBay as is.

Originally posted by doug sinclair:
    watchalways,

Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board@!

I'd say this is a pretty difficult remedy to suggest without a picture of the "innards" of your watch and the spring you refer to, to start with. Can you send pictures? If you have difficulty, look to the CLOCKS section of this message board for instructions as to how to go about posting pictures.

Blog Entries

watchalways,

How about a scan of the innards?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
    How about a scan of the innards? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is a good question for me. For the longest time I was taking digital photos of watches. I asked a guy one time who had very nice photos how he got them since my pictures were never exceptional. He suggested scanning. I got one and tried it out and for the most part it works very well.

But when trying to scan the face of the watch, I get really bad flare at the edge of the crystal that the light tube travel towards. I tried a couple of machines and had the same probelm with all of them. Does anyone get better results?

/Tim

watchalways

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 4piet1:
    hello,when removing the metal clip dit the two halves of the digital mechanism came apart?the little spring may be an contact spring between these parts. show us pictures if you can .
    greetings piet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why didn't I think of that? Well I took the watch apart once more and look for a hole where another spring could fit in and at the same time make some sort of contact with the adjustment buttons that were not working...sure enough there were two such holes that seemed like good candidates but only one was in a location that made any sense. (Using the end of a safety pin I picked up the tiny springs and placed them into their respective holes.) Now this mystery spring would be compressed and out of view once the metal retaining clip/cover (which held the two halves together) was snapped into place.

While all the adjustment buttons, time functions, stopwatch, etc., work--unfortunately the audible alarm no longer functions!

I can live without the alarm function but any ideas as to what could be the problem now?