Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4290 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: K&D Staking Set

tymekeypur

Default K&D Staking Set

Have recently acquired a full K&D Staking Set from a retired watchmaker but the set is numbered w/letter prefixs which have not appeared in any array description that I have seen to date...have searched the net for a chart which will decode the stakes for me...a clock guy looking for help with a staking venture into watches...

jc #0157194

tymekeypur

Default K&D Staking Set (RE: tymekeypur)

Have recently acquired a full K&D Staking Set from a retired watchmaker but the set is numbered w/letter prefixs which have not appeared in any array description that I have seen to date...have searched the net for a chart which will decode the stakes for me...a clock guy looking for help with a staking venture into watches...

jc #0157194

Wynter Sturtevant

Jim,

That is odd to have a K & D set lettered and not numbered. Are they marked K&D?

Wynter

tymekeypur

Sorry Wynter I wasn't very clear...all the stakes are numbered but the numbers are preceded by a letter prefix and all the descriptions I've seen, or found, of the K&D numbering system there are in many cases no letter prefix and, if one appears, the letter follows the number...would like the 'key' so I could sort out what use each is to be
    put...thanks...Jim

jc #0157194

Jim - To add to Wynter's note: I have never seen K&D punches that were not marked K&D with a number which on occasion was followed by and A or B. The letter reflected changes in hole sizes probably due to the shift from pocket watch repair sizes to sizes better suited to wrist watch repair.

Can you provide a sample of the markings on your punches? Then someone might be able to help.

tymekeypur

K Thanks!...I pulled 5 of the 125 odd stakes from the K&D 'New Style' set @random...they read: A I K&D...A 14 K&D...B 56 K&D (for staking a bomber no doubt )...E 25 K&D...C 30 K&D...etc...

jc #0157194

Jim - I have a table listing your punches and stumps. I found 4 of the 5 punches you listed; C 30 was not listed. The C punches range from C 79 to C 88. Interestly the punch number signify the hole or end size by stub gauge on punches with the letters A, B, D, &E.

If you send me your address I will copy the list and mail it to you.

tymekeypur

Thanks "dross"...will do...Jim

jc #0157194

Spike

dross,
    I'd sure like to have a copy of your list of K&D punches & stumps with letter prefixes. I tried to email you but couldn't figure out how to do it. My email is bluedawg&aol.com. Thank you!