Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2587 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    parts

Default IBM UK Master clock 25-7 serial 17656

Can anyone date this clock. It had been in continues use in a Victorian building where I worked until the building was vacated and the clock given to me.

Default IBM UK Master clock 25-7 serial 17656 (RE: parts)

Photos and or a more detailed description including the serial number if available will be required to help you date your clock.

parts

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jkfabulos:
    Photos and or a more detailed description including the serial number if available will be required to help you date your clock. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> 2 Pictures

Discussion Topic IBM UK Master clock 25-7 serial 17656

Your IBM model 25-7 master clock is typical of those we see here in the US that were made after 1936. The style of the case, a quasi Art-Deco motif, was used on many IBM model 25 magnet wound and model 35 motor wound (weight driven) master clocks after 1936.

Yours appears to have the invar temperature compensated pendulum, a medium priced feature bested by a mercury compensated pendulum or the standard wood-stick cast zinc lenticular bob.

Some models require an external 24 volt DC source to control slave or secondary clocks while other model 25's have an internal 125 Watt transformer and rectifier to provide the control voltage needed for slave clocks.

Where specified for school campus classroom signaling or factory work schedule, most have a large metal disk 4, 6 or 8 level programming device. Your case has no evidence of ever having the programmer mounted inside the case.

You might have a more accurate date on your clock if you could determine when the postal address format used on the build plate was implemented in GB. In the US, various postal address formats have been implemented over the years each with an implementation date.

US made IBM clocks always have an identification plate with model designation, serial and a date code which is well documented but for US domestic production only.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

You might want to go to my webspace where I have a number of factory sheets on your type of clock. The address is:

www.execpc.com/~hweiland

Please click on "IBM"

Please let me know if you have difficulty downloading the material.

Best regards,

Henry Weiland

parts

added a couple more pictures

The pictures have either vanished into the ether or were censored.

parts

Im sorry my DNS server has gone down. i will post when it returns

parts

Should be OK now

Parts

Your most recent photo of the master clock movement and wiring reveals little except the wiring from the movement toward the top of the case where external connections are made.

Barely discernable in the dark at the right of the movement there appears to be a very small transformer and a small selenium rectifier. Doubtful that the transformer and rectifier could supply enough current for more than the master movement and a few slave or secondary dials.

Too, it appears that the movement has duration contacts used to control the period that annunciators or bells are energized. However, there is no evidence of there ever was a bell programmer in the case.

There is nothing in the photos to help estimate the year of manufacture except for the postal address on the build plate shown in the previous photos.

Registered user.

After much research into my own IBM master clock I have now gathered a large amount of information.

The IBM logo on your pendulum scale plate was use between 1926 and 1946.
    Some plates were used after this date

The serial number you have given is typical of the one found on the movement

There should be another serial number on the inside left of the case and maybe some letters as well.

Are the connections at the top large screw down knobs that can be tightened by hand or a terminal strip that you need a screwdriver to do up?

Are these terminals labelled “D,D,1,2,3,4,A,B,C”?

If you can post this information here I may be able to date your clock more accurately
    Regards

Registered user.

Default Re: IBM UK Master clock 25-7 serial 17656 (RE: parts)

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardo
    After much research into my own IBM master clock I have now gathered a large amount of information.

The IBM logo on your pendulum scale plate was use between 1926 and 1946.
    Some plates were used after this date

The serial number you have given is typical of the one found on the movement

There should be another serial number on the inside left of the case and maybe some letters as well.

Are the connections at the top large screw down knobs that can be tightened by hand or a terminal strip that you need a screwdriver to do up?

Are these terminals labelled “D,D,1,2,3,4,A,B,C”?

If you can post this information here I may be able to date your clock more accurately
    Regards
    Hello, I noticed your post regarding IBM master clocks and was wondering if you could help to date mine. Mine has a serial number on a silver tag screwed to the inside of the case on the left hand side. The number is 18867 2035. It has IBM in silver letters on the cross timber just below the dial. It has a silver scale just below the pendulem that measure the swing and this is also marked IBM. Pendulem appears chrome plated and rod is metal with adjusting screw on end. A silver dial with dark brown letters for the hours and dots only on the seconds dial. None of the movement is visable. Clock operates on the 1 min magnetic puls system which winds a spring. The entire front of the case is covered by a single glass door which has a lock at the top and another at the bottom.
    Thanks
    Steve

I'm just here for the watches
    Steve

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Steve, welcome to the message board. Does your clock have a serial number tag that says where it was made? This will affect the dating of your clock, as each source factory had its own dating system. It will also tell you what the model number is.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Registered user.

Hello Harold,
    If you tell me where to look I will try to find some other numbers. The number I gave is on a silver label screwed to the inside of the case about half way up on the left side. There is nothing else on the plate. To look at the movement or anything on the upper part of the case I will have to remove the dial which completly covers that section. The clock is currently mounted on the wall and has been running for about 6 years. Case is 19 ins wide by 8 ins deep by 61 ins high. It hangs in a cast steel bracket which you bolt to the wall first. Took 2 people to hang the clock.
    The previous owner has added a small power supply to run the clock. I think it was from an electric train set. It is mounted behind the dial at the top where it can not be seen. When I first got the clock going I found it very noisy to live with and it took a while to find ways to quieten it down. You can still here it but it is now much better than it was.

Steve
    Steve

Registered user.

My work for the day evaporated due to bad weather so I had some time to devote to this matter. Took the dial of and found some more information. Clock front plate is marked International. Made in England and a serial number of E18867. There is some extra parts attached to the bottom of the clock movement which appears to be some kind of switching device. This is also marked International Made in England with a number 2035.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clock1.jpg  
    Steve