Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Hammond Bichronous

This is probably a question for Charles Vesser, who appears to be the message board expert on Hammonds :-)

I recently took on a NAWCC friend's Hammond Bichronous office/factory clock for repair (big mistake!) having worked on many Hammond Synchronous table clocks in my own collection. I noticed right off that there is no resemblance of the Bichronous to the Synchronous motors. Since it was not my clock and the problem was occasional stopping, I decided to clean it as well as I could without disassembling it and to replace the line cord. When I had it back together (no adjustments made to the "propellor" on the back plate), I discovered that the second hand raced around the dial and possibly (can't remember without running it again) the hour and minute hands didn't move at all. Help! I can't return this clock to my friend this way. Thanks in advance.

Frank Lindauer
    Frank Lindauer
    Cad49@bellsouth.net

Default Hammond Bichronous (RE: Frank Lindauer)

This is probably a question for Charles Vesser, who appears to be the message board expert on Hammonds :-)

I recently took on a NAWCC friend's Hammond Bichronous office/factory clock for repair (big mistake!) having worked on many Hammond Synchronous table clocks in my own collection. I noticed right off that there is no resemblance of the Bichronous to the Synchronous motors. Since it was not my clock and the problem was occasional stopping, I decided to clean it as well as I could without disassembling it and to replace the line cord. When I had it back together (no adjustments made to the "propellor" on the back plate), I discovered that the second hand raced around the dial and possibly (can't remember without running it again) the hour and minute hands didn't move at all. Help! I can't return this clock to my friend this way. Thanks in advance.

Frank Lindauer
    Frank Lindauer
    Cad49@bellsouth.net

Charles Vesser

Hi Frank,
    Sound to me like you have a gear in either the wrong place or upside down. Those things can be assembled about 4 different ways as they seem to have fit all gears and some of the gears will go in the wrong place and look correct. I give on trying to remember the layout because I don't get that many anymore for repair. But I have a simple solution that I use. I keep one that runs correctly to go by. If you need a photo e-mail me and I'll take mine apart for the umteenth time and send you a picture.
    I remember one time I fixed one of those for a guy who sent it to me in parts, he could not get it back together. I assembeled it sent it back, and about a week later he returned it in parts again, he had taken it apart just to see if he could put it back together!!!!!!!!

Hi Charles:

Thanks for your reply, but since I didn't take the movement apart, I am completely baffled!!

I'll open it up again and see if anything obvious appears. BTW, this is a "Postal Telegraph" clock, but I don't think that makes any difference; it's still a Hammond Bichronous.

I will offer my friend this solution. I can probably install one of Merritt's Synchron replacement movements (rear set) and no one will know the difference except for my friend :-)

Frank
    Frank Lindauer
    Cad49@bellsouth.net

Charles Vesser

Hi Frank,
    Well lets think about this at least until tomorrow.
    A 110V-115V 60 cycle motor runs at one speed on direct current to the motor. This we know.
    Something in the gear train has had to have broken or come loose since the second hand is running extreemly fast and the hour and minute hand is not moving. I.E. when the second makes one revelution if geared to the minute hand the minuet hand will move one minute. This we know.
    I will take mine apart tomorrow and see if I can figure this one out. I would tonight but I have a Hammond Ravenswood and Sessions clock to rebuild.
    Charles

Charles Vesser

Hi Frank,
    I am looking at my clock.
    As the govener spins there's a small spring loaded flap that will catch the govener and slow it down. This flap is located on the back plate above the power cord terminal on the side and rear of the plate. Check and see if the spring has come loose.
    There is also a washer that goes on the outside of the minuet hand and the hand nut goes on top of it and then the second hand, check this.
    Check all the gears for freedom of operation behind the front plate there's 11 gears, take your finger and shake the gears up and down.
    If all these are in order then plug the clock up and with the spin to start knob run the clock backwards for a few minutes. Unplug the clock and turn the spin to start knob in the correct direction and see if the clock will run unpluged. If it does let it run down. If it does not run, plug it up use the spin to start knob to start the clock in its normal mode, it should now run at normal speed.
    Let me know what you find out.
    Charles

Hi Charles:

This clock has now risen to the top of my pile of projects, so will advise you of my success, if any. Thanks for your very detailed analysis.

Frank
    Frank Lindauer
    Cad49@bellsouth.net

Hi Charles:

I tried to follow your most recent instructions concerning the Bichronous with the "racing" second hand. I determined that turning the start knob *either* way still only caused the second hand to turn clockwise at the high rate of speed. The governor didn't rotate but seemed to want to turn. Then I noticed that the governor shaft was turning rapidly without turning the governor. Does this mean that the shaft is spinning freely and that the governor is not tightly connected to the shaft? If you agree that this may be the problem, what's the best way to "tighten" the governor on the shaft other than my own instinct/trial and error procedures? Thanks again.

Frank Lindauer
    Frank Lindauer
    Cad49@bellsouth.net

Charles Vesser

Hi Frank,
    Now I see the LIGHT all the way down here in Tennessee. Pay no attention on the other posts. I first thought the govener was spinning 90MPH. I thought thats impossiable.

There's a LITTLE FINE WIRE that locks the govener on the govener shaft, this wire goes through the slot at the very rear of the shaft and locks the counterbalance to the shaft. I would think this wire has come off.
    I can send you a picture or you may call me and I will call you on my cell phone as I have free minutes on the week-ends. This is a very simple fix if you have one to go by. Its a CRAZY set up but what do I know, most of them work for over 65 years so who can complain.
    Charles 865-690-9217 lets get that thing fixed!

Default Re: Hammond Bichronous (RE: Charles Vesser)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Vesser View Post
    Hi Frank,
    Now I see the LIGHT all the way down here in Tennessee. Pay no attention on the other posts. I first thought the govener was spinning 90MPH. I thought thats impossiable.

There's a LITTLE FINE WIRE that locks the govener on the govener shaft, this wire goes through the slot at the very rear of the shaft and locks the counterbalance to the shaft. I would think this wire has come off.
    I can send you a picture or you may call me and I will call you on my cell phone as I have free minutes on the week-ends. This is a very simple fix if you have one to go by. Its a CRAZY set up but what do I know, most of them work for over 65 years so who can complain.
    Charles 865-690-9217 lets get that thing fixed!
    hello, may I contact you to get a Hammond bichronous fixed?

Default Re: Hammond Bichronous (RE: Charles Vesser)

hello, may I contact you to get a Hammond bichronous fixed?