Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3151 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    jparker

Default Seth Thomas statue clock

I recently acquired a statue clock that seems unusual. It has a slate base, above that is a spelter section that houses the clock. On top of that is a statue of a lady with a flute sitting in a chair. (similar to the opera on Ansonia clocks). On the leg of the chair is marked DOR101. This clock has a marked Seth Thomas movement, with a reverse count wheel. I found this movement in the Orchid model Crystal regulator made by Seth Thomas. The movement appears original to the clock due to the mounting brackets and screw holes. The name on the porcelain dial is Mitchell, Vance & Co. N.Y.. I cannot find where Seth Thomas made alot of statue clocks. Can anyone fill me in on this clock and/or Mitchell, Vance & Co. Thanks Jim

jparker

Default Seth Thomas statue clock (RE: jparker)

I recently acquired a statue clock that seems unusual. It has a slate base, above that is a spelter section that houses the clock. On top of that is a statue of a lady with a flute sitting in a chair. (similar to the opera on Ansonia clocks). On the leg of the chair is marked DOR101. This clock has a marked Seth Thomas movement, with a reverse count wheel. I found this movement in the Orchid model Crystal regulator made by Seth Thomas. The movement appears original to the clock due to the mounting brackets and screw holes. The name on the porcelain dial is Mitchell, Vance & Co. N.Y.. I cannot find where Seth Thomas made alot of statue clocks. Can anyone fill me in on this clock and/or Mitchell, Vance & Co. Thanks Jim

Jim,
    Seth Thomas & Sons (do a search on this site first)made a lot of statue clocks. Get Tran's Seth Thomas book and check that section out(You are likely to find your clock). I beliieve Mitchel, Vance & Compant was a retail chain.

Larry

jparker

I have Tran's first Seth Thomas book and found nothing there. I figured Mitchell and Vance was the seller, however did not know if anyone knew the time frame or area they were located. I will check the site. Thanks Jim

Jim,
    Try Trans vol 2 of american clocks pg 295. Clock no 8026 18 inches high, slate base, flute player, 1876 Seth Thomas, sons & co.

Larry

Jim,
    I did a quick look on the web for Mitchell Vance and saw them listed for New York 1860-1933. I'm sure you could dig deeper for more info if you need it.

Larry

jparker

Larry,
    Thanks alot for the info. I have been putting off getting the Vol. 2 but now I am going to have to purchase it. I usually start here at the message board. I usually start at the best point. You have proven that to be the case. Again, thanks Jim

I have heard that Mitchell and Vance was a decorator shop in New York. Interestingly, they seemed to like to paint the Seth Thomas and Sons statue clocks that Tran shows with a metallic finish. You can find quite a few pictures of these clocks on the Antique Clocks Price Guide site, as well. In addition, try the Find engine on this site for some lengthy discussions of these clocks.
    Pattye

jparker

I found the information you both suggested. It answered my questions. The clock Larry pointed out was the clock. I have repaired the movement and the clock is up and running. Thanks alot for the information. Jim