Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2951 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Default Gustav Becker ID - What does the "H" Mean?

I first posted this message on another thread, but have been nudged to post as a separate topic so more folks will see it and possibly provide data and answers.

What this amounts to is part of my ongoing research to prepare accurate identification and dating info for Gustav Becker clocks of all types.

However, in this instance, the focus is on the inexpensive models made from about 1910 to 1940 in the Freiburg factory, and from 1910 to 1926 in the Braunau factory. The rest should be self-explanatory.

This started with a photo of a GB movement on another thread, HERE

I'm still researching to find out what the "H" means. This letter is marked on all of the inexpensive GB movements I have seen that were made starting about 1910 and onward, both in the Freiburg and Braunau factories. Virtually none of these movements have serial numbers. One thing I can say for sure, however, is that your clock was made before 1926 before Junghans took over the GB operations, from the case, dial, and pendulum style I would say between 1919 and 1925. The basis for this is that your clock has the GB logo that was used only by the Braunau factory on these inexpensive movements (the GB anchor with the word "SILESIA" underneath), and when Junghans took over in early 1926 they did not include the Braunau factory. I understand clock manufacturing was continued but not using the GB logos, name, or designs.

Here are some characteristics of the inexpensive movements from the two factories:

Freiburg____Braunau____Comments
    Has "H"..____Has "H"..____Both are on left side of plate
    Has Pxx.____Has Pxx..____Different basis used between Freiburg and Braunau. See comment below
    GB Anchor___GB Anchor____Freiburg clocks have only the Anchor, no name. Braunau clocks use "SILESIA"
    "only"..._____w/SILESIA
    Letter Rt____No Letter____Many Freiburg clocks have a letter (K, M, O, etc) at rt. mvmt edge, Braunau not.

COMMENTS RE PENDULUM LENGTH MARKS:
    Freiburg pendulum length marks recorded to date:
    P14, P18, P42, P54, P64, P65, P65.5, P66.5, P112

Braunau pendulum length marks recorded to date:
    P20, P27, P32, P42, P48

The Freiburg marks, without exception, have checked out to be within one centimeter of actual pendulum length measured from the center of the bob to the center of the suspension spring. The Braunau marks, on the contrary, appear to be something between centimeters and inches. For example, Braunau clocks with the P20 mark have pendulums about 16 inches long, and P42 about 34 inches long.

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Also, some of the Freiburg clocks made after about 1930 appear to have a date stamp on the back plates. So far I've recorded only five, but the photos seen on eBay where these were found leave a lot to be desired. The marks appear to read YY MM. An example showing 35 10 (October 1935) stamped at the lower right corner of the movement is here:

If these "are" dates, then I've got examples from 1931 to 1939. Any pointers to others will be much appreciated, contact me off-list at pastimes@juno.com.

John Hubby

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Default Gustav Becker ID - What does the "H" Mean? (RE: John Hubby)

I first posted this message on another thread, but have been nudged to post as a separate topic so more folks will see it and possibly provide data and answers.

What this amounts to is part of my ongoing research to prepare accurate identification and dating info for Gustav Becker clocks of all types.

However, in this instance, the focus is on the inexpensive models made from about 1910 to 1940 in the Freiburg factory, and from 1910 to 1926 in the Braunau factory. The rest should be self-explanatory.

This started with a photo of a GB movement on another thread, HERE

I'm still researching to find out what the "H" means. This letter is marked on all of the inexpensive GB movements I have seen that were made starting about 1910 and onward, both in the Freiburg and Braunau factories. Virtually none of these movements have serial numbers. One thing I can say for sure, however, is that your clock was made before 1926 before Junghans took over the GB operations, from the case, dial, and pendulum style I would say between 1919 and 1925. The basis for this is that your clock has the GB logo that was used only by the Braunau factory on these inexpensive movements (the GB anchor with the word "SILESIA" underneath), and when Junghans took over in early 1926 they did not include the Braunau factory. I understand clock manufacturing was continued but not using the GB logos, name, or designs.

Here are some characteristics of the inexpensive movements from the two factories:

Freiburg____Braunau____Comments
    Has "H"..____Has "H"..____Both are on left side of plate
    Has Pxx.____Has Pxx..____Different basis used between Freiburg and Braunau. See comment below
    GB Anchor___GB Anchor____Freiburg clocks have only the Anchor, no name. Braunau clocks use "SILESIA"
    "only"..._____w/SILESIA
    Letter Rt____No Letter____Many Freiburg clocks have a letter (K, M, O, etc) at rt. mvmt edge, Braunau not.

COMMENTS RE PENDULUM LENGTH MARKS:
    Freiburg pendulum length marks recorded to date:
    P14, P18, P42, P54, P64, P65, P65.5, P66.5, P112

Braunau pendulum length marks recorded to date:
    P20, P27, P32, P42, P48

The Freiburg marks, without exception, have checked out to be within one centimeter of actual pendulum length measured from the center of the bob to the center of the suspension spring. The Braunau marks, on the contrary, appear to be something between centimeters and inches. For example, Braunau clocks with the P20 mark have pendulums about 16 inches long, and P42 about 34 inches long.

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Also, some of the Freiburg clocks made after about 1930 appear to have a date stamp on the back plates. So far I've recorded only five, but the photos seen on eBay where these were found leave a lot to be desired. The marks appear to read YY MM. An example showing 35 10 (October 1935) stamped at the lower right corner of the movement is here:

If these "are" dates, then I've got examples from 1931 to 1939. Any pointers to others will be much appreciated, contact me off-list at pastimes@juno.com.

John Hubby

Don't mean to embarrass John. But the fact is that no one else has gathered so much data on Gustav Becker clocks and shared it -- or if you prefer, 'shared them' -- so freely.

Would therefore ask anyone with information about these "letter movements," or different pendulum lengths, or "date markings" (as above) to share it back, so to speak, with him.

Regards, Duck
    NAWCC 118804

Haha, to add to your confusion, mine:

http://www.angelfire.com/me5/clockman/gb.html

Is marked P42 (left) and M on the right side.

It has plain GB anchor logo (no Silesia), and the dial is unmarked.

EDIT: Ok, I saw where you had the info on the M mark. But the photos and info from my movement may be of some use to you. If you need a better/clearer shot, I'd be happy to take it down and photograph it for you. Let me know.