Month's Goal: $300, Received: $230.00 - (77%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2806 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Old Electric clock - dead coil

On my bench is an old clock, patent 91831 c 1934. I am getting zero impedence through the coil. I verified good contact on bare wire. I want to repair the clock, but am not experienced with rebuilding or replacing coils. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Default Old Electric clock - dead coil (RE: shutterbug)

Can you identify what kind of clock it is?

Ken

Can you make a photo of the coil, motor assembly please.
    It may help identifying it better.
    Any nameplate details if any. 110 , 220 Volts.
    50 or 60 Hz.

Generally the open is where the external leads attach to the coil windings. Peel back the insulation and see how the wires are attached. Make sure the connections are good.

You can even start unwrappping the wire and if you are lucky, the break will be near the outside wraps.

Inspection will often pay off.

Ralph

Here are a couple of pics. This is from a United clock from the 1930's. It is very dirty, as you can see and the coil is pretty brittle. The movement is about 3 inches wide and 1 1/2 inch tall (eye ball estimate).

Charles Vesser

Hi Shutterbug,
    To replace ths coil:
    Drill the revits out of the steel that goes through the coil. Lift coil and the steel off the rear plate. (This coil looks like a coil out of a Pennwood clock to me.) Find a coil that will fit the steel, slide it on and make sure it is a reasonably tight fit. Use brass screws and nuts to fasten the coil steel back to the plate. Make sure you use a lock washers on the screws before the nut is installed. (These coils like to viberate).

Where to find a coil. Without knowing the size I can offer some suggestions. If it is the size of the coil on a Telechron H-Bar use one of these coils. (I think this one is smaller). So if the H-Bar coil is too large then try one out of a G.E. clock that uses a "S" rotor. Still no luck, then you will need a coil out of a Pennwood clock.

You will need a coil of 2 watts and at least 4960 turns.

Once you find a coil that fits:
    Let the clock run at room tempature for an hour or so, measure the tempature of the coil. On this coil you do not want it to reach over 95 degrees tempature. The reason being most all these coils are wound with 105 degree wire. Heat will usually not be an issue because the steel and the rear plate work as a heat sink.

If you do not have acess to coils give us some measurements and I might just have one. If you need futher assitance let us know.
    Chas.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to need this rewound. Should I take it to a local electrical motor place, or what? Do any of you do this kind of work? Help!! :biggrin:

Charles Vesser

Hi Shutterbig,
    See if you can get it rewound localy, it all else fails let me know I may be able to help.
    Chas.

Thanks much, Charles. I'd thought about calling local electrical people. This is very small, about 1 X .75 X .75 inches. Distance between rivets is 1 3/8 inches. If you have one let me know a price with shipping. I really appreciate it! You can private message me, or email shbug01@aol.com. That's zero before the 1. Thanks again!

The saga continues:
    I located a coil and installed it. It works! That's the good news. The bad news is that I assumed incorrectly that the hands would come off the clock in the usual manner. I removed the minute hand with a hand remover, and then attempted the hour hand. I'm sure I messed things up before I realized that the hour hand was not coming off. It seems to be permanently mounted on the gear that runs it. Now, when I get it back together, the gears are not aligned correctly, and interfere with each other (they should stay separate, but don't). I'm hoping that some of you may have experience with these and point me in the right direction for getting it back to normal. Please??

Charles Vesser

Hi Shutterbug,
    Congrat's on the coil replacement. Just keep in mind how easy the next one will be.

Now to the hands. I would supect the hands are just frozen on the shaft.
    Sometimes I have reasembeled a clock with a gear upside down and weird problems like this occur. It might be worth looking into.
    When I run into these types of problems (and do I) I will usually just take everything a part and start over. It is worth a try.
    Keep us posted.
    Respectfully,
    Chas.

Default Re: Old Electric clock - dead coil (RE: shutterbug)

I got the hour hand off, and discovered that the spring washer under it is badly worn. I assume I can make one from an old spring, but am concerned about the size of spring needed. Are these washers obtainable? This seems to be the issue with the gear alignment I mentioned.