Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Bernie Pollack

Default The Murphy-Davis Signal Co. (program clocks)

Hi, Does anybody out there know anything about the Murphy-Davis Signal Co. Topeka, KS, 1927-1929? Manufactured program clocks for schools under the name "Murda". Clock is rather unique in that the movement is strictly mechanical wind up but drives a spindle carrying a punched tape. Brass "fingers" follow the tape and wherever there is a hole they make contact to complete a circut and ring a bell or advance a slave. Would appreciate any info about this company and what other clocks they made other than the Murda

Bernie Pollack

Bernie Pollack

Default The Murphy-Davis Signal Co. (program clocks) (RE: Bernie Pollack)

Hi, Does anybody out there know anything about the Murphy-Davis Signal Co. Topeka, KS, 1927-1929? Manufactured program clocks for schools under the name "Murda". Clock is rather unique in that the movement is strictly mechanical wind up but drives a spindle carrying a punched tape. Brass "fingers" follow the tape and wherever there is a hole they make contact to complete a circut and ring a bell or advance a slave. Would appreciate any info about this company and what other clocks they made other than the Murda

Bernie Pollack

Default Re: The Murphy-Davis Signal Co. (program clocks) (RE: Bernie Pollack)

Bernie,

My name is Rick Murphy. I am the 8th grandson of Ralph Elder Murphy, who was the Murphy, in the Murphy-Davis Signal Company which manufactured the Murda Clock. I have been typing Murda Clock into my address bar, periodically, for the last several years trying to learn more about it. Up to now, I had not had any luck.

How did you become interested in Murda Clocks? My uncle (dad's brother) tells me there were bunches of them built and sold all over Kansas, Missouri, the mid-west and even into Texas. I have never been able to find any. Do you know of any other units around? I would love to correspond with you and other clock enthusiasts as I would like to know more about the clock and the history of the company. Anything you could share would be greatly appreciated. I have access to a lot of information via my mom and my aunts and would be glad to share it with you as well.

All the Best,

Rick Murphy

Default Re: The Murphy-Davis Signal Co. (program clocks) (RE: murphyr)

Hi Rick,
    Thanks for the phone call the other day. This was the first real response since I first posted in 2004. I do have a Murda-#934-in original condition including the tape and owners manual. I also have accumulated some information about the company that I would be most willing to share with you. How do we trade eMail addresses? BTW, when you call the W coast from the East there is 3 hours difference. It was 5:15am when you called the other morning.

Bernie Pollack

Default Re: The Murphy-Davis Signal Co. (program clocks) (RE: Bernard Pollack)

my name is mark holzmeister i live in topeka, ks. my grandfather was Will C. Davis. he was a clockmaker and jeweler. he also was muphy's partner in there venture of building the Murda signal clocks. i have one of the murda signal clocks as well as a copy of their sales brochures. years after my grandfather died, my mom and dad recieved requests for the tapes that signaled the school bell to ring. i will never forget the reams of brown paper, the hand cranked printer that printed the 24 hours of the day in 15 minute intervals. the hole punches and the jig with razor blades spaced at approximately every inch to slice the ream of paper into clock tapes. my folks had the tedious task of punching holes at times the schools would request the bells to ring. i remember these tapes hanging on nails from the ceiling of our basement. they were everywhere!

Registered user.

Default Re: The Murphy-Davis Signal Co. (program clocks) (RE: murphyr)

Rick,

My wife is the great grandaughter of Will Davis and has been looking for a clock for years. We do have some faces and glass she got when her dad passed. Any information on finding a complete clock would be appreciated.

Keith Wilkinson

Default Re: The Murphy-Davis Signal Co. (program clocks) (RE: Bernard Pollack)

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Pollack View Post
    Hi Rick,
    Thanks for the phone call the other day. This was the first real response since I first posted in 2004. I do have a Murda-#934-in original condition including the tape and owners manual. I also have accumulated some information about the company that I would be most willing to share with you. How do we trade eMail addresses? BTW, when you call the W coast from the East there is 3 hours difference. It was 5:15am when you called the other morning.

Bernie Pollack

Dear Bernie,

I just inherited a 934 from my great aunt who was a school teacher in New Mexico. I had it cleaned and it is now keeping perfect time! it does not have any tape or manual with it. Would you be willing to share the information you have?

Default Re: The Murphy-Davis Signal Co. (program clocks) (RE: mark holzmeister)

Hi Mark, my name is Delbert Herrmann & I live in Merriam, KS. I belong to Chapter 36 of NAWCC & we would like to prepare a program on the Murphy-Davis clock to present at one of our local meetings. I have limited information & would possibly like to talk to you to obtain additional information and where I could get a clock to exhibit during the program.
    Thanks, Del

Default Re: The Murphy-Davis Signal Co. (program clocks) (RE: Delbert Herrmann)

Hi i have a murphy-davis (murda) clock that came out of a school in arizona back in the 1960's. It seems to be all there except the day hand. It keeps very good time. The only number that i can find is 1534 printed on the door frame. The four switches on the lower part of the clock box seems to be added on. The rollers on the left side seem to connect to four connectors. Any information as to what i have would be appreciated. Thanks tom h