Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4491 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Clock runs but the hands don't move?

I have a Seth Thomas shelf clock that I recently purchased at an estate sale. When I first looked at it, it was running and was set to the correct time. I wandered around the estate sale for about half an hour and when I came back the clock was still running and on time so I bought it.

Now that I have it at home it runs very erratically. Some days it keeps almost perfect time and on others it runs either fast or slow with no consistency. What's strange about it is that some nights I check it before I go to bed and the next morning it will be off by 6 hours; still running with the chime in sequence.

I have also found it running but the hands are not moving.

It's on my list of clocks to take apart. My question is what should I be looking for that would cause it to run like it does?

Default Clock runs but the hands don't move? (By: Ed Patnode)

I have a Seth Thomas shelf clock that I recently purchased at an estate sale. When I first looked at it, it was running and was set to the correct time. I wandered around the estate sale for about half an hour and when I came back the clock was still running and on time so I bought it.

Now that I have it at home it runs very erratically. Some days it keeps almost perfect time and on others it runs either fast or slow with no consistency. What's strange about it is that some nights I check it before I go to bed and the next morning it will be off by 6 hours; still running with the chime in sequence.

I have also found it running but the hands are not moving.

It's on my list of clocks to take apart. My question is what should I be looking for that would cause it to run like it does?

Center wheel assembly-where the hour and minute hands are driven by a clutch or sometimes a spring may be tha cause. I've has a couple of Sessions, I think, where the heavy cast gear has split.

I agree with the previous poster. The only problem that makes sense (especially if the chime stays in sequence) is that there's a problem with the centre shaft. It's possible that the spring that keeps friction for the minute hand could be loose, so the hand may just randomly fall 1/2 hour ahead each turn on some of it's rotations.

busszz

One last thing to check....and I only bring this up becuase I just had a problem with it recently...are the hands running into each other? I just had a clock where the hour hand would temporarily snag the minute hand every so often. The clock would run fine...then I;d noticed it had lost a half-hour. I;d reset and it might run a whole day and then lose some time. The hour hand was twisted a bit and was scraping the minute just enough to stop it for a bit...but not stop it solid, it would eventually come free (I suspect the temperature changes in the house throughout the day played a part in this)....it was very incosistant and drove me crazy unitl I finally saw it happen one day. I did not detect it by running the hands around by hand, guess the pressure of my finger plowed past the snag.