Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Vincentie & Cie Onyx Mantel

I picked up this Vincenti recently, it has had a tough life but I think we're almost there. Clipclock told me how to heat up the bezel to install the beveled face glass (worked great) and more time than I care to admit to cleaning and it's running pretty true. I'm going to have some glass cut for the front panel, it seems to have been broken long ago.

It has the silver medal 1855 stamp, but I'm posting because it also has "69" stamped at the bottom of the movement. Could this be the year of manufacture? I know there is not a lot of info on Vincenti so maybe this will help in dating his stuff. There is no "made in France" stamp so I'm figuring it is in line with the 1869 date.

I haven't found another example of this style of case after much searching, if anyone has a thought on what type of decoration would have been found on the top of the case and bottom corners I'd appreciate it. I wouldn't be fussed if I can't find them, imo the French went a bit overboard on bling, but it might be nice to return to original.

As an aside, boy are these French movements fussy to get going (for a new guy). Fiddle and get it going on the test stand, great. Install in case on work bench and have to do more fiddling, great it's working. Move clock to final resting place and it needs more fiddling to get going. It's running well now though and I don't think I'll move it again, it weighs almost 40 pounds, I guess the French figured heavier was better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3302.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	337.3 KB 
ID:	356425Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3296.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	330.8 KB 
ID:	356426

Default Re: Vincentie & Cie Onyx Mantel (By: woodlawndon)

Unfortunately the 69 you see here will not have been added to indicate a date. You will almost never find a date on clocks of this era (unless there is a presentation inscription, or it was a very special clock made for an exhibition etc). There was simply no need to put a date on the movement - just as you don't usually find a date on manufactured goods these days.

There can often be several marks or numbers, which can indicate a number by the maker of the "blanc roulant" movement , a number by the finisher of the movement, a number from the case maker etc etc. Usually the higher number will be from the blanc rounat maker (Vinceti) and the lower number 69) in this case would probably relate to the finisher - whether this means it was the finisher's 69th clock, 69th clock of this style, and so on, would depend on the numbering system used by the finisher, who is long gone by now!

Default Re: Vincentie & Cie Onyx Mantel

69 refers to the pendulum length, i.e. 6 and 9/12 French inches. These pendule de Paris movements can be quite finicky in terms of getting them in beat and they will stop if they aren't completely level, I rarely ever move mine for that reason and at 40lbs I certainly wouldn't with this one. Some sources say Vincenti & Cie ceased production in 1870 but they provide no evidence to support that. I would imagine the missing decoration mirrored that on the bottom.
    Last edited by jmclaugh; 09-14-2017 at 04:33 AM.
    Jonathan.