Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered user.

Default Re: Tension Ring Falling Out Of Crystal (By: 12V6GT)

Unless it's a one piece case I prefer to remove the movement, then the glass, clean the case then fit a new armoured Plexi, yes you can use a crystal lift, but you also run the risk of topping the armoured Plexi like a boiled egg and leaving the tension ring and ring of plastic in the case.

It's just a lot easier to push the glass out from the inside, if a new glass is being fitted then just smack the old one out with a hammer.

Default Re: Tension Ring Falling Out Of Crystal (By: dAz57)

Quote Originally Posted by dAz57 View Post
    Unless it's a one piece case I prefer to remove the movement, then the glass, clean the case then fit a new armoured Plexi, yes you can use a crystal lift, but you also run the risk of topping the armoured Plexi like a boiled egg and leaving the tension ring and ring of plastic in the case.

It's just a lot easier to push the glass out from the inside, if a new glass is being fitted then just smack the old one out with a hammer.
    I agree - unless it's a one piece case (front loader) I remove the movement and push the crystal out from the inside, and I do use a watchmaker's hammer if the crystal is being replaced.

Using a regular all purpose crystal lift does risk snapping off the crystal, so with a one piece case you can use air, or sometimes manufacturers will make specialized crystal lifts for thei watches. On this Omega Cosmic, there is a notation on the back that says "Tool 107"

Tool 107 is a crystal lift, but it's quite different from the general one you see around. Instead of having many small fingers, it uses larger segments (there are 7 segments) inside that grip the entire circumference of the crystal. When you turn the handle on the top of the device, it grips and then lifts the crystal, with the edge of the tool seating on the top of the watch case. Using this I've never snapped off a crystal, but of course you have to have several sizes as they are not as flexible as the typical finger style are...

Cheers, Al

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tension Ring Falling Out Of Crystal (By: roughbarked)

Quote Originally Posted by roughbarked View Post
    The easiest way to remove a tension ring crystal is to use the multi fingered waterproof glass removing tool. Tighten it until it is just tight then use a knife blade to lever the whole crystal and tension ring out.

If the ring is falling out when pushed in, it is the wrong ring. The glass is the wrong glass. Seiko make a glass that is 310T. The rest of the part number relates to other things ie: the height of the side, the height on the inside, the type of ring and etc. there are about a dozen versions of Seiko's 310T
    The only thing I've succeeded with using a lift like that is shearing the crystal off at the ring, as I mentioned before. Compressing the crystal won't work as the ring is keeping its shape. So the only thing you can hope to do is grab it enough to be able to pull it out, and that will leave marks on the crystal. The dedicated tools that Al shows is a different animal. But as I don't have one, I'll stick to my fingers and my syringe.

Best regards
    Karl

Registered user.

Default Re: Tension Ring Falling Out Of Crystal (By: karlmansson)

Yes same here, my preferred method is compressed air to pop the glass out on a one piece case, I do have a couple of tools that are supposed the lift the glass out but the only thing I found them useful for is to top a boiled egg, if the plastic or acyclic resin is a crazed or old then this tool will just cut the top off the glass.

Default Re: Tension Ring Falling Out Of Crystal (By: karlmansson)

Quote Originally Posted by karlmansson View Post
    The only thing I've succeeded with using a lift like that is shearing the crystal off at the ring, as I mentioned before. Compressing the crystal won't work as the ring is keeping its shape. So the only thing you can hope to do is grab it enough to be able to pull it out, and that will leave marks on the crystal. The dedicated tools that Al shows is a different animal. But as I don't have one, I'll stick to my fingers and my syringe.

Best regards
    Karl
    OK, well it has always worked for me. Just enough tension so that it doesn't slip and mark but enough so it can be levered against with the knife. Out it pops.

Default Re: Tension Ring Falling Out Of Crystal (By: dAz57)

Quote Originally Posted by dAz57 View Post
    Yes same here, my preferred method is compressed air to pop the glass out on a one piece case, I do have a couple of tools that are supposed the lift the glass out but the only thing I found them useful for is to top a boiled egg, if the plastic or acyclic resin is a crazed or old then this tool will just cut the top off the glass.

It it is old and crazed it needs replacing anyway.

I use syringes to pop one piece case plexis.