Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Count lever and locking lever.

Hi All,

I have purchased a cuckoo clock from Ebay that was advertised as a 'vintage Russian cuckoo clock for collectors'. It was working, but was very dirty inside. I decided to rebush, polish pivots and clean the movement. When I put it back together I found that I had a problem. It has a count wheel strike, which I am not familiar with, and is the first time that I have come across one. The count lever goes down into the notch of the count wheel and the lever catches on the detent at the same time. Then the count lever rises up and carries on chiming continuously. Also the weight on the chime side drops to the floor instead of locking.

I have had it apart many times but to no avail, and it is now driving me nuts. Any help would be very appreciated.

Many thanks Crossie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0997[1].jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	291.6 KB 
ID:	356209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1237.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	356210   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1248.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	356211  

Default Re: Count lever and locking lever. (By: crossie)

I'd suggest taking that count wheel off, and see if the locking lever and pin will stop the clock that way. If so, put the wheel back on so the deep notches match where the lock occurs.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Blog Entries

It is hard to tell from the photos whether this uses the same levers as a traditional American count wheel clock, but you might want to review the design and operating sequence found at: http://mb.nawcc.org/showwiki.php?tit...t_Wheel_Basics

I would check to see if it has a stop/warning pin, as I suspect that is not synchronized properly with the other levers and the locking lever doesn't catch this pin. Hopefully it is a simple adjustment of the wheels to get things sync'ed up properly.

If you still have problems, better photos of the movement would help.

Tom

Default Re: Count lever and locking lever. (By: shutterbug)

Hi shutterbug, thanks for your suggestion,I tried that but alas it did not help, I will try glebers way,it has a stop warning pin but I need to have more information on how to synchronise the wheels. crossie

Sounds like you'll be splitting the plates again. It's all part of the learning curve
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Count lever and locking lever. (By: shutterbug)

Hi gleber,sorry I took so long to reply to your comments to my post,you were right it was not synchronised properly, it took a few goes to get there but I got there in the end, thanks,crossie