Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Miniature New Haven Banjo Clock

Spotted this out of the corner of my eye in the antique mall today. Miniature New Haven Banjo clock. The back of the movement bezel is dated Oct. 16 22 but I don't know which model it is. The dial is enamel and the tablet is not a picture but actually reverse painted glass of Mt. Vernon. It measures 15" tall by 5" wide. The door opens at the bottom and there's a small latch. It needed a shot or two of oil but's ticking like a Swiss watch now. Cute little clock for sure. Does anyone know which model this is?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01904.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	356086Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01900.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	356082Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01903.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	356085Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01902.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	356084Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01901.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	356083Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01892.jpg 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	356079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01894.jpg 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	356080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01895.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	356081

Default Re: Miniature New Haven Banjo Clock (By: sylvester12)

Can't help with model but this looks nice. I don't have a banjo in my collection yet, I've bid on several in auctions but always seem to get smoked. In my very uneducated opinion, it seems like banjos are one of the few clock types that bring value today in this very depressed clock market. I like it, glad it's running well, enjoy.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Miniature New Haven Banjo Clock (By: woodlawndon)

Great looking little banjo clock. Yes many clocks are selling so cheap.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Miniature New Haven Banjo Clock

Your dimensions don't match any banjos in Trans New Haven Book (Arlington Book Co.). The wood throat is very different. I think your side arms are reversed side to side -- the screws holding them on should be towards the back of your clock so they will not show.
    I have a similar clock but with a silvered dial, very close to the "Willis" model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N.H. Willis banjo.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	356113  
    Last edited by jacks61fd; 09-10-2017 at 07:07 AM. Reason: add info

Default Re: Miniature New Haven Banjo Clock (By: jacks61fd)

Tran does show a couple of Willis banjos from the 1911 catalogue, both with 3 inch porcelain dials, one with a wood throat, i.e., no decorated glass. However, the one with the wood throat is also shown with wood side arms. It was nearly 17 inches tall. Are you measuring the height to the top of the round dial head or to the tip of the chimney, or what? In any event, we often see variations in height.

The tyhroat on yours appears to have a hole in the throat. Is that what I am seeing?
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

I've seen a couple like mine but with wood side arms instead of brass, the throats were wood. The side arms cannot be reversed they fasten from both sides. The dials were the same as mine which I believe is enamel, they called them porcelain but mine has a over tightened screw on one side and it's not cracked so I doubt it's porcelain. On close inspection the throat on this is original it's never been changed and the patina and wood grain matches the rest of the clock perfectly. This clock is a bit smaller than the Willis. I saw four like this but no one had a name for it just miniature banjo.

Name:	DSC01910.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	356118Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01911.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	356119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01913.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	356120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01914.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	356121

Default Re: Miniature New Haven Banjo Clock (By: sylvester12)

Steven - I'm getting old missed the second Willis on pg 59, Sylvester first time I saw side arms attached on both front an back side.

Default Re: Miniature New Haven Banjo Clock

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Thornberry View Post
    Tran does show a couple of Willis banjos from the 1911 catalogue, both with 3 inch porcelain dials, one with a wood throat, i.e., no decorated glass. However, the one with the wood throat is also shown with wood side arms. It was nearly 17 inches tall. Are you measuring the height to the top of the round dial head or to the tip of the chimney, or what? In any event, we often see variations in height.

The tyhroat on yours appears to have a hole in the throat. Is that what I am seeing?
    It's 16" to the top of the chimney and 15" to the top of the dial head. The throat has a small dent but it doesn't go all the way through I have to get a filler stick and fix that. So it is a porcelain dial that's a bonus. The ones I saw all had wood side arms probably been switched at some point. Thanks Steven so it's a Willis.

Name:	DSC01892.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	356123
    Last edited by sylvester12; 09-10-2017 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jacks61fd View Post
    Steven - I'm getting old missed the second Willis on pg 59, Sylvester first time I saw side arms attached on both front an back side.

Don't feel bad so am I getting old. Thanks for getting me the info on the clock much appreciated. I think it's safe to say it's a Willis.