Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default What Is Catalog Number For This Hamilton 18s Dial?

I recently got this Hamilton 18s DS dial and would like to find out what number it is. I checked some of the early Hamilton Materials Books, but nothing there. There are also identical SS & DS versions with Roman numerals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18s DS Ham Watch Co. 2.jpg 
Views:	1209 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	355900  

Default Re: What Is Catalog Number For This Hamilton 18s Dial? (By: Bob McClelland)

I don't know the cat number but this is a great dial. These are usually found on early high grade open face watches like the 936-938 etc...they may even have been sold on the very early 940s.
    John Cote
    Watch Collector (pocket & wrist), Clock Admirer, Time Nerd...

Default Re: What Is Catalog Number For This Hamilton 18s Dial? (By: John Cote)

But there is no full stop (period) after "Co"!

Default Re: What Is Catalog Number For This Hamilton 18s Dial? (By: johnbscott)

Bob,
    The earliest Hamilton catalog I can find is 1910 and they changed to the "Hamilton" in 1909.

The timekeeper booklets usually just had a picture of the movements.

johnb,
    They didn't use the period on the 18s dials but did use then on 16s, Why?, I don't know.
    Jim Haney

Default Re: What Is Catalog Number For This Hamilton 18s Dial? (By: Jim Haney)

Sorry,
    After looking at many 18s dials, it appears that about half of them have the .(Period), so they may have decided that at some point, to start using the period.
    Jim Haney

Default Re: What Is Catalog Number For This Hamilton 18s Dial? (By: Jim Haney)

While we are discussing the topic of early Hamilton dials, it should also be noted that there were two distinctive signing styles utilized.

On earlier dials, the "H" and "W" feature an over-stroke lead-in swash. Compare this style to the under-stroke lead-in swash on the later (more common) examples. The "l" and "h" also have open loops, amongst other minor differences.

Name:	Hamilton-Dial-Overstroke.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	356021   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hamilton-Dial-Upperstroke.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	356022  

Default Re: What Is Catalog Number For This Hamilton 18s Dial? (By: Bob McClelland)

Bob, I do not know the number of this early dial, but it is often referred to by collectors as the railroad track dial for obvious reasons .

Default Re: What Is Catalog Number For This Hamilton 18s Dial? (By: 179)

I have seen it suggested that the better dials had a period after Co. I don't really know about that but my observations have led me to think that there might be something in it. The prevailing factor might be time of manufacture, rather than dial quality, of course.

Then there are the dials that have a period after Co with the end-flourish of the o in Co encircling the period. They are definitely the good ones. I would expect to see that style on a grade 942, for example.

Default Re: What Is Catalog Number For This Hamilton 18s Dial?

Thanks for all the information and especially on the variations on the signatures which I had never noticed. In looking through the Hamilton photos I have collected I found another version of the 'over stroke' which does have the loops in the l & h. Probably a coincidence, but the two I found were on 944s that had been up-jeweled from 936s.

Name:	Hamilton-Dial-Overstroke 18s loop l&h a.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	356185