Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Need information on early 1800 Paul Garnier inking stop watch.

I have had this watch for a few years, but don't have the expertise to fiddle with it. The information I have is found in auction records and on line searches. It appears that the inventor was Nickolas Mathieu Rieussec watchmaker to the King of France in 1822. This later model is signed by Paul Garnier and has the mark of the French Navy (anchor). He was the watchmaster for the French Navy. It runs perfectly, is a little beat up outside, but no major damage. Stop and start functions work and the face opens and glass is fine. I have seen one like it in an Sothebys auction in Geneva. I am searching for a qualified watch repair person that knows how to fill the oil and ink receptacles on the watch and check it out. Any information would be gratefully accepted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06576.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	355857   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06579.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	233.0 KB 
ID:	355858   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06580.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	355859   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06582.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	355860  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Need information on early 1800 Paul Garnier inking stop watch. (By: Douglas Racine)

Hi Douglas, and welcome,

Inking chronographs are pretty rare beasts and very seldom seen. I've only ever handled one, and that was an English watch signed for Parkinson & Frodsham. Finding someone to look at this for you may not be easy, depending on where you live.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: Need information on early 1800 Paul Garnier inking stop watch. (By: gmorse)

I think this thread might be lost in the clocks forum; so, I have moved it to the European Pocket Watches forum for, I hope, better exposure. If the moderators of that forum feel it will do better elsewhere, it might be moved again.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Need information on early 1800 Paul Garnier inking stop watch. (By: Douglas Racine)

Based on what Graham said, I suggest Frodshams themselves, who are still active in London and seem to be pretty well able to handle anything that is thrown at them - at least in my experience. Contact is Mr. Richard Stenning.
    Paul

Blog Entries

Default Re: Need information on early 1800 Paul Garnier inking stop watch.

Hi Paul,

Frodshams might be able to shed some light, but Parkinson & Frodsham were a separate company from C.J. Frodsham. In any case, the inking chronograph which I mentioned was made by John Wycherley in Prescot; it was just sold by P&F. Joseph and James Hurst in Clerkenwell supplied several of these and seemed to have acted as agents/wholesalers.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke