Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Colonial of Zeeland 1977 Grandmother Clock (By: gleber)

Actually, I think I want to get into building them.. not the movements but the cases. I mean.. what better present to give someone for their wedding or graduation than a mechanical clock you built yourself that can become a heirloom? Now.. if I only knew anything about wood working.. LOL

One other thing I wanted to update you on... I noticed after a day that it was running slow. I took the pendulum out and examined it. I noticed scratch marks above the bob that seemed to reflect that it had one time had been adjusted there. I moved the bob up (about a full inch) and it has kept perfect with my laptop since. I'm pretty tickled with myself about all this. I figured I would somehow manage to get the thing to burst into flames just by barely touching the movement. LOL Thanks again for all the help you folks provided.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Colonial of Zeeland 1977 Grandmother Clock (By: KPMcCulley)

Quote Originally Posted by KPMcCulley View Post
    Actually, I think I want to get into building them.. not the movements but the cases. I mean.. what better present to give someone for their wedding or graduation than a mechanical clock you built yourself that can become a heirloom? Now.. if I only knew anything about wood working.. LOL

One other thing I wanted to update you on... I noticed after a day that it was running slow. I took the pendulum out and examined it. I noticed scratch marks above the bob that seemed to reflect that it had one time had been adjusted there. I moved the bob up (about a full inch) and it has kept perfect with my laptop since. I'm pretty tickled with myself about all this. I figured I would somehow manage to get the thing to burst into flames just by barely touching the movement. LOL Thanks again for all the help you folks provided.
    Glad it's working well and keeping time. You should be proud of yourself - it's not rocket science, but it's not super easy either, so to take a non-working clock in pieces and no prior experience and get it running is quite an accomplishment.

Now is a good time to start learning woodworking...

Tom