Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Jahres-Uhr Catalogue query.

Hi, i have a query regarding a clock i have which is identical to clock No. 274 in the Jahres-Uhr catalogue. i am led to believe the catalogue consists of JUF clocks of various models.
    The problem i have is although it looks identical from the front the movement is made by Hauck and not JUF. The clock appears original and in working order and it even has a bronze suspension wire fitted.
    I wondered whether the movement had been changed in the past so tried to fit a JUF dial of the same period in place of the one it has, but it does not fit the movement and just slops around in the front plate holes which confirms the dial goes with the movement.
    I cleaned the dial before refitting it, apart from that the clock is untouched. I am not sure if the pendulum is JUF as it is solid cast brass which has been machined. It weighs 422grams. It has a serial No 10875.
    Any information would be appreciated as to its origins.
    Regards,
    Adrian.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hauck.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	579.5 KB 
ID:	355193   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hauck1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	382.1 KB 
ID:	355194   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hauck2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	272.5 KB 
ID:	355195   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hauck3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	432.4 KB 
ID:	355196  
    Last edited by John Hubby; 09-01-2017 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Removed oversize photos

Default Re: Jahres-Uhr Catalogue query.

Hi Adrian,

I believe your clock is an original with the movement by Hauck. I have found that style with JUF, Keinzle, and Wurth movements as well. Yours has the two screws for the Huber tubular suspension guard still in place. It's possible Hauck provided the movements to Huber. There are many other examples of that.

Hauck used turned brass discs for their pendulums, JUF and others used a composite with brass shells over steel and lead cores. Your pendulum is the same as pictured with N0. 200 in the catalog, which also has Hauck style base finials, and a dial normally seen with Urania (Huber) branded clocks. Your serial number is from the time period where Hauck was providing movements to Huber as well.

Your suspension bracket is correct for Hauck before they introduced their gimbal bracket.

The catalog provides as many questions as answers.

Nice addition.

Eric
    Last edited by etmb61; 08-31-2017 at 11:51 AM.
    Chapter 77 Little Egypt.

Default Re: Jahres-Uhr Catalogue query. (By: etmb61)

Thanks for your reply Eric it is much appreciated. Do you know whether JUF used Hauck movements then or does the catalogue show various makes and models of clock from that time period and not just JUF available to purchase.
    Regards,
    Adrian.

Default Re: Jahres-Uhr Catalogue query. (By: Ada)

I doubt JUF used Hauck movements. My personal opinion is that the "JUF" catalog is actually a jobbers catalog, or better yet a Huber catalog, and shows a variety of items available by different manufacturers. Huber used Hauck and JUF movements.

Eric
    Chapter 77 Little Egypt.

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Default Re: Jahres-Uhr Catalogue query. (By: etmb61)

Quote Originally Posted by etmb61 View Post
    I doubt JUF used Hauck movements. My personal opinion is that the "JUF" catalog is actually a jobbers catalog, or better yet a Huber catalog, and shows a variety of items available by different manufacturers. Huber used Hauck and JUF movements.

Eric
    I agree with Eric's opinion about the Jahres-Uhr catalog, that it is not a JUF catalog even though a majority of the clocks illustrated were made only by JUF. He brought this up several months back when we were discussing a Würth clock design and noted there are a few clocks in the catalog with the Würth patented "Kronen-Pendel" (pendulum No. 20 in the Repair Guide) that have never been documented to be original with a JUF movement.

Actually Huber purchased movements and likely some complete clocks from Hauck, JUF, and Kienzle. I've not found any Huber-associated clock made with a Würth or Junghans movement. While Huber clearly purchased movements from Gustav Becker, that was from 1920-23, long after this catalog was published.

I've been looking since that time at all the models in the catalog and find there are quite a few that were not made by JUF to the best of our knowledge; at least none of these particular models have been documented with JUF movements. There is some confusion introduced by the fact that a large number of models have been found with movements by multiple makers, which we initially concluded was because case-makers could offer their cases to any maker. Many of these in fact have the same model number shown in catalogs, advertisements, and trade publications being sold by various makers. This even includes a number of Grivolas clocks, which would point to those cases being made in France.

I don't think this is a Huber catalog, because too few of the models have been found with any Huber identification such as their "Urania" trademark, and at the same time there are several models that have been found with only one maker's movements and no obvious connection to Huber.

Eric is correct that the catalog now raises more questions than answers, and it would appear now that it could be a jobber's catalog although I have to raise the same question Eric did regarding JUF, "whether by JUF or a jobber, why isn't there a company name associated with the catalog?"

Back to Adrian's clock, it definitely has a Hauck movement, dial, and pendulum and was made in 1906. The fact that four maker's movements have been found with this case can lead to the conclusion that perhaps Huber purchased movements from all four and assembled them with the same case. It also could support the idea that the case maker convinced all four to buy his case. I need to go through my data to see how many of each maker have been identified and then see if that leads to a conclusion. As a by the way, this is (so far) the only Hauck I have documented with this case.

Default Re: Jahres-Uhr Catalogue query. (By: John Hubby)

John, thank you for your comprehensive information. Its good too know my clock is genuine. It is all too easy to come to the wrong conclusion and believe it a marriage of parts when using the Jahres-uhr catalogue as the only source of information!
    There still seems a lot of hidden history and information regarding torsion clocks to be yet uncovered.
    Regards,
    Adrian.

Default Re: Jahres-Uhr Catalogue query. (By: John Hubby)

John,

I have documented a couple of others like this one with Hauck movements. Number 13216 differing by having moon hands and an early Becker base, and 7814 also with moon hands like 13216 but in a 4-glass case. Both were in online sales.

Eric
    Chapter 77 Little Egypt.