Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Plymouth Mantel Clock

I recently stumbled into and beautiful mantel clock in a second hand store. What interested me in this clock (other than its condition) was that it chimes once on the quarter hour two times at the 30 and 3 times at the 45 and then just chimes the hour at the hour...unique...most clocks chime on the half and the hour so I picked it up...Can anyone provide me any information on the clock...era, manufacturer etc...
    I love unusual clocks...email is rtbagna@gmail.com
    Thanks in advance for the info...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170827_125902.jpg 
Views:	1845 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	354885  

Default Re: New Clock Info needed (By: rtbagna)

Rt,

The style of clock is a tambour. Our friends in the U.K. refer to this style as a Napoleon's hat or Napoleon. I've also heard it referred to as a camel back.

I am not sure it chimes, as I see only two winding arbors. Chime refers to the playing of melody, such as Westminster chimes. I believe you meant to say that it strikes on the quarter hours.

My guess is that it is post 1930, but that is only a guess.

Regards.

Default Re: New Clock Info needed (By: new2clocks)

Hi,
    I am not an expert on American clocks, but I believe that Plymouth is the name of a variety of tambour clocks that were produced by the maker Seth Thomas. As for the date, new2clocks is about right with his estimate - the clock was probably made around 1930-1940.
    Regards.
    How did it get so late so soon?
    ― Dr. Seuss

My clock collection, a work in progress:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/111564344@N02/

Please could we see a photo of the movement?

JTD

Plymouth was, in fact, a subdivision of Seth Thomas clocks from about 1934 to 1940, when it was absorbed by the parent company. It was established to make and sell less expensive clocks. Your appears to be one of them and most closely resembles what was called Style 5632, which is shown from the 1938 catalogue in vol. 2 of the 3d edition of Tran Duy Ly's book on Seth Thomas clocks (arlingtonbooks.com). However, that clock is said to strike 2 notes on the quarter hour, 4 notes on the half hour, and 6 notes on the three-quarter hour. So, this might be another clock or a variation of the 5632 (from an earlier or later year, for example).

Just for comparison, the 5632 in 1938 was said to be 19 1/2" wide, 9 1/4" high, and 5 3/4" thick, but slight variations could have occurred.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: New Clock Info needed (By: JTD)

sure...here it comes...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170828_135534.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	354966  

Default Re: New Clock Info needed (By: Steven Thornberry)

No...You are right it is a two note strike so it is 2 , 4 and 6...So it seems that this is the clock...

Thank you for the info that helps alot...It may be a poor mans clock, but the condition is great and I love the way it strikes.......Ihave another seth thomas that is a bing bong it is square and in Rosewood with a white fame...that one is much older...I need to find that book so I can ID the clock..

Yhanks agin for the help

Rick

Blog Entries

Default Re: Plymouth Mantel Clock (By: rtbagna)

the clock was probably made by Seth Thomas.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Plymouth Mantel Clock (By: richiec)

Plymouth is the second brand offered by Seth Thomas (like Dodge, Plymouth and Chrysler). Your clock is called quarter strike as it strikes once for the first quarter, 2 for the second, 3 for the third and announces the hour at the top. It dates from the 1930's to 40's and is a pretty piece. Unless specified on the instructions on the inside of the back door, you cannot reset the movement backwards; you will have to go thru each quarter and allow it to do its strike before moving on.

Default Re: Plymouth Mantel Clock (By: Chris)

I have merged the two threads on this clock.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde