Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Registered user.

Default Really worn pallets

I acquired this Perivale 3-train mantle clock and ran it for a few weeks to see if it had any obvious problems. It was slowing progressively more and more as the days went by (e.g. 2 minutes fast 2 days after winding, but 2 minutes slow by day 7). I thought this would be a reasonably simple breakdown, clean, rebuild and lube job so imagine my horror when I saw the state of the pallets. You can also see how low the suspension had been set. Fortunately the escape wheel is relatively unscathed.

What are my options? The verge is 25mm wide by 4mm thick, and the escape wheel is 1mm thick, to give you some idea of the extent of the wear. I don't have a lathe or milling machine, but apart from that I can cut, grind, file, solder...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exhibit1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	364.6 KB 
ID:	354449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exhibit2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	354450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exhibit3.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	354451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exhibit4.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	354452  

Default Re: Really worn pallets

Perivale movements appear on ebay all the time for not very much money, moving the escape wheel over would only be a temporary solution on larger clocks I have refaced the pallets with spring steel however with this clock I would just make another out of gauge plate but it depends where your skills lie unfortunately the wear is too great for grinding out
    Stephen Benson - Clock website www.ajsbsa.co.uk There is no time, only clocks

Default Re: Really worn pallets (By: AJSBSA)

You might lay the part on a sheet of tin & scribe the profile. This way you retain an accurate profile.
    Then take it to a welding shop or machine shop & have them put a spot of weld to fill the voids.

From there you can file & grind your profile back.
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss. Website

Registered user.

Default Re: Really worn pallets (By: BLKBEARD)

Thanks for the suggestions - I may go the route of making a new one, but am I right in thinking I'll have to harden it off after I've got the shape?

Default Re: Really worn pallets

If you make it out of gauge plate they yes you should harden it just the pallets one at a time though then polish again. I would not temper just get each pallet red hot for about 10-20 seconds and quench in water end first a file should just skid across the back of the pallets when finished
    Stephen Benson - Clock website www.ajsbsa.co.uk There is no time, only clocks

Default Re: Really worn pallets (By: AJSBSA)

I've put a post in clock repair which I hope will help you should you choose to make replacement anchor.
    shimmystep.

Registered user.

Default Re: Really worn pallets (By: shimmystep)

Quote Originally Posted by shimmystep View Post
    I've put a post in clock repair which I hope will help you should you choose to make replacement anchor.
    Thanks, shimmystep - that's a really useful post. Sorry for not coming back sooner. I've bookmarked your post and am about to start work. The gauge steel I ordered has arrived, and the only other thing I'm going to need to acquire is a blow-torch then I can get going. Thanks again!

Default Re: Really worn pallets (By: peanuts)

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    Thanks, shimmystep - that's a really useful post. Sorry for not coming back sooner. I've bookmarked your post and am about to start work. The gauge steel I ordered has arrived, and the only other thing I'm going to need to acquire is a blow-torch then I can get going. Thanks again!
    Welcome
    shimmystep.

Default Re: Really worn pallets (By: shimmystep)

Quote Originally Posted by shimmystep View Post
    Um, I have a similar problem, and I'd like to read your post. But where is it? I couldn't find any sort of a link.

Mark Kinsler

eternally puzzled
    512 East Mulberry Street; Lancaster, Ohio USA 740-503-1973; kinsler33@gmail.com
    http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com/search/kinsler/

Default Re: Really worn pallets (By: kinsler33)

Quote Originally Posted by kinsler33 View Post
    Um, I have a similar problem, and I'd like to read your post. But where is it? I couldn't find any sort of a link.

Mark Kinsler

eternally puzzled

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...xisting+anchor