Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advertising Clock Question

I hope these pics show the situation. The minute hand slides on fine, but the second hand is loose and there is nothing to secure it with. How could I fix this? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Another pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1210399.jpg 
Views:	1414 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	353382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1210398.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	353381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1210401.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	353383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1210402.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	353384  

Default Re: Advertising Clock Question (By: JoyF)

I wonder if that second hand used to have a brass hand bushing in it. Depending on your level of skill you may be able to devise a new one.

M Kinsler
    512 East Mulberry Street; Lancaster, Ohio USA 740-503-1973; kinsler33@gmail.com
    http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com/search/kinsler/

I'm fairly new to this, but this may be a help http://timesavers.com/search.html?q=...hing&go=Search
    If you're not overly attached to those hands, you could get some replacements fairly cheap, and probably about the same design. I'm also assuming you meant hour and minute, rather then minute and second?

Registered user.

Default Re: Advertising Clock Question (By: bikerclockguy)

I think the hands have been changed. The minute hand should have a hole with two flats secured with a nut. Then you could run the minute hand around to set the time. The smooth steel pin would take a sweep second hand. No?

Default Re: Advertising Clock Question (By: senhalls)

Many of those older second hands screwed onto the shaft. It looks like it is or used to be threaded.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Advertising Clock Question (By: bikerclockguy)

Quote Originally Posted by bikerclockguy View Post
    I'm fairly new to this, but this may be a help http://timesavers.com/search.html?q=...hing&go=Search
    If you're not overly attached to those hands, you could get some replacements fairly cheap, and probably about the same design. I'm also assuming you meant hour and minute, rather then minute and second?
    Yes, I'm sorry, I meant hour and minute hand. My mind hasn't been very clear lately. Thanks for the link to that website.

Default Re: Advertising Clock Question (By: shutterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    Many of those older second hands screwed onto the shaft. It looks like it is or used to be threaded.
    I think it may have been a screw-on hand. The current hand does not have apparent threads.

The clock is a Red Chain Feeds advertising clock. You can google and find a couple pictures in Images. After looking at that again, it appears that there is supposed to be a second hand that attaches last.

I'd like to replace all of the hands as the hour hand looks to have a crack in it also. Do most replacement hands of this type fit any older clock?

It is a spin-start clock. Thanks.

Not many electric hands available anymore. Intermatic, Hansen and Lancashire were the last ones still standing, that I know of.
    Keep in mind that most larger second hands will have a brass bushing with LEFT HAND threads. There are some second hands that push on, usually on smaller dials.
    Willie X

Default Re: Advertising Clock Question (By: Willie X)

It looks like your movement might accept regular I shaft hands. You might have to do some minor alterations, but it's worth a look-see.

Thanks. I hope to find something that will work.

What senhalls said above. That's the wrong minute hand for the clock.
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.

Default Re: Advertising Clock Question (By: bangster)

With a dial such as this, how long should the minute hand be? Would I consider the dial as having a chapter ring? Depending on whether I measure from numeral to numeral or chapter ring diameter, my hands would be either about 4" or 5". Also, length of second hand in relation to minute hand? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1210476.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	353861  

I'd go 1/2" shorter than what you have. An inch wouldn't be terrible if that's what you can get.

Thanks. I believe that would come out to 4 3/4".

Found an hour and minute hand set that should work. My second hand shaft size is about .072". The second hand on the website I was going to order from has an inside shaft diameter of .030" - .031". Any suggestions as to how I could remedy this difference? Thanks.