Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Any recommendations for someone to repair/restore my clock?

Any recommendations for an honest clock repairer and maybe restorer?

I don't want to get taken advantage of and someone just taking my money or just over charging me. Or possible stealing my clock or parts.

Background.
    We just took home a Schatz 400 Day clock model 53 with London Dome.
    We took it home from my late grandfather's home. It was running before we transported it and it did have the proper time, but the spring broke on the ride home so that needs to be replaced.

Secondly I don't know when the clock was last oiled or cleaned. Cosmetically it looks shiny and nice, but does have some finger prints.

I understand no one can give me a price without seeing the clock and examining it first. But does anyone atleast know a ball park figure of what this would cost us?

Default Re: Any recommendations for someone to repair/restore my clock? (By: sda2)

Where are you located?

Default Re: Any recommendations for someone to repair/restore my clock?

I'll move this over to the 400 day forum.

sda2, you can replace that spring yourself, and it's not hard. Get a good picture of the back plate of the clock so we can give you the proper size to order. You can also order the complete spring, assembled with the upper and lower blocks and the fork .... but only do that from Horolovar, since the others are not sized correctly.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Registered user.

Default Re: Any recommendations for someone to repair/restore my clock? (By: sda2)

If you can operate hand tools you can fix it yourself.

You can order the repair manual from your public library and possibly buy a spring from a local clock shop or order one from timesavers but they have a minimum order.

The book has great instructions and there are no special tools other than screwdrivers and pliers.

If it was keeping good time then you could get by simply replacing the suspension but oiling would be good whole you are at it.

Beware of jewelry stores as many repair watches and clocks but 400 day clocks are taboo for many and although they are easy and simple to work on most places cannot fix them or do sloppy work for expensive money.

We got many of ours by stopping in such places asking if they had any broken ones and got good ones for 5 bucks a pop.