Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default help identifying movmrnt maker marks english? made?

Hi, I'm hoping some one from across the pond might be able to help or even some of you rebels from this side.
    I am working on a small grandmother sized tall (short) case. I have so far determined the dial name is the retailer from about 1858-1880. But don't know anything about the marking on back of the movement plates. the movement is square in shape and has hammers on left to strike hours and a music box type wheel on the right to play Westminster chimes on rods.

I am trying to determine the makers and in that case narrow down the age of the clock as well.

I will post more pictures later. thanks, Joe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dial with name-1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	362.7 KB 
ID:	353128Click image for larger version. 

Name:	movmt logo.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	376.8 KB 
ID:	353129

Default Re: help identifying movmrnt maker marks english? made? (By: klokwiz)

Sorry Joe I can't help with the markings on the backplate. Loomes lists Swinden & Sons as wholesalers, importers and also suppliers of clock dials and materials, his dates are 1851-97 which sadly extends the time period. It appears the family came from Brentford, London where members of it were clockmakers from the late 18th C.

Perhaps futher pictures may help.
    Jonathan.

Default Re: help identifying movmrnt maker marks english? made? (By: jmclaugh)

Would suggest 1920s-1930s, going by the use of gong rods and "Tempus Fugit" on the dial. While not easy to identify without movement photos, the dial looks very similar to what F. W. Elliott used.
    "A good gong sells the clock!" - Justin A. Olson

Default Re: help identifying movmrnt maker marks english? made? (By: chimeclockfan)

I agree with chimeclockfan. Also the marks on the backplate look very much more modern than the dial (may be). Perhaps the movement has been replaced at some time.

It would be very helpful to have photos of the whole clock and the movement (back and front) which might help identify it more closely.

JTD

Default Re: help identifying movmrnt maker marks english? made? (By: klokwiz)

thank you for your help so far. I will post more info and photos as I have them. Joe