Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Old style cabinet hardware ???

I can't find a picture now (of course) but I have seen photos of antique wall clocks that have little devices mounted on either side of the cabinet. Appears to be maybe a L bracket with a set screw ? I'm guessing that these were used to bring the clock away from the wall the proper distance & maybe keep it steady left to right...
    I have a TALL pendulum lock that is very temperamental on the wall. (runs perfect on a test stand). I level/adjust it to run - a few hours later it stops. When I do get it right & running for a long time - I want to put the proverbial screw at the bottom into the wall behind the bob like I've done on my other clocks. The other vital reason for the screw is so the clock doesn't fly away when you open the door to wind......Duh....
    As soon as I touch the screw to the wood with my electric screwdriver, it moves a bit, cause I don't have 4 arms to hold the clock still.
    I think I may have a distance from the wall issue. This was an Emperor kit & there are 4 bumpers built into the backboard screws in the proper locations.
    HOWEVER - for some odd reason there are the ends of the 4 screws w/nuts that hold the movement, protruding from the middle area of the back & they appear to be a few MMs longer than the bumpers - I don't know what Mr. Emperor had in mind but this clock & I are not happy !
    I'm not going to monkey with the screws - there is only ~8MM of protrusion.

What about over riding the existing bumpers with thicker ones so the clock can lay flat against the wall ? Of course that still leaves a side to side leveling & screw insertion problem.
    "Preparation is nine-tenths of the law" - My father

Default Re: Old style cabinet hardware ??? (By: Ron751)

​You might be able to turn the screws around, so the nuts & shafts are on the inside of the case.
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss. Website http://sailorsandsettlersantiques.com

Default Re: Old style cabinet hardware ??? (By: BLKBEARD)

Yeah, you don't want them extending beyond the bumpers.
    The bumpers should help keep the clock straight on the wall when they are allowed to do their job. They can also keep it from sliding when you open the door. However, some have preferred sticking a straight pin or similar into the wall at either side to prevent that from occurring. Personally, I just hold the case when I open the door. You could also make a light mark when you get it vertical and in beat so you can set it back easily. Again, personally I just set it by the beat, and when it's right I know the clock is straight again.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

I thought of that BB, but the screws are actually threaded rods integrated to a spacer which attaches to the movement and then there is about 10MM of thread poking through the back....heaven forbid that an issue on a clock would be solved that simply - right ? :-}

Default Re: Old style cabinet hardware ??? (By: Ron751)

Timesavers "wall stabilizers" may be what you're after. Several different kinds.
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.

Default Re: Old style cabinet hardware ??? (By: bangster)

​Maybe if you post a couple of pictures of the Back & the inside, a solution can be found.
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss. Website http://sailorsandsettlersantiques.com

I associate them with Vienna wall clocks

http://www.m-p.co.uk/muk/parts/chap0...0450000115.htm
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Old style cabinet hardware ??? (By: novicetimekeeper)

Yep. Timesavers carries those, among others.
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.

Default Re: Old style cabinet hardware ??? (By: bangster)

Thanks people for your stabilizing suggestions. I ordered a pair right away.