Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Seeking Opinions on spring condition

This comes out of a small visible escapement French clock. My initial feeling is that there's plenty of room left to just smooth and reshape the worn part of the hole. Of course I could also cut it off and re-hole it .... but I cant see where that would be much better. What are your opinions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3689.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	352987  
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Seeking Opinions on spring condition (By: shutterbug)

I would re-hole it. Is there a part of it folded under the spring hole? If so, eventually the barrel hook won't properly catch the spring.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Seeking Opinions on spring condition (By: harold bain)

No, nothing folded under. I have 5/8" left from the end of the tear to the end of the spring. I think that's about all American springs have. I was thinking of just extending the original shape down to the bottom of the tear.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Where do you suppose the piece went? Perhaps a previous repairman just cut it off?
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Seeking Opinions on spring condition (By: harold bain)

I'd cut it off, anneal and re-hole it shuts.
    shimmystep.

Is there something with the hook that should be smoothed or addressed to prevent or minimize future damage.?

David
    David S

I would cut off the spring & punch a new hole in fresh material. The pin may also have a deep groove worn into it.
    I wouldn't like those two thin rails that are on each side of the slot which was an oblong hole

Just my two cents.

At the end of the day it's in your capable hands.
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss. Website http://sailorsandsettlersantiques.com

I guess someone has to be different. Looks to me like someone deliberately cut that narrow slot to keep it from jumping off the pin. I wouldn't do anything except perhaps smooth it up a bit and try to get the spring straight. Looks like a little cone ing going on here as well. I assume it has been working ok.

RC

Default Re: Seeking Opinions on spring condition (By: R. Croswell)

Hmmm. I had assumed that it just dug a groove over time ... but the strike side does not show similar wear.
    I'll look at the hook and make sure it's not sharp. Maybe RC is right, and it was done deliberately. Strange. You would expect that kind of wear on the business end, but not on the barrel hook. I'm still pondering. Thanks for all the input!!
    BTW, there was no debris found in the barrel.

Perhaps a previous repair was done to remove/file some cracking/splitting steel. There appears to be some file marks on the end of the spring. I think I would punch a new hole.

Default Re: Seeking Opinions on spring condition (By: Time After Time)

One consideration not mentioned so far is the annealed section of the spring. Some springs are softer at the outside end so they catch the barrel pin more easily. If you cut it at the hole and re-hole it, you may be into the harder section of the spring. You would need to anneal the spring so it would be less stiff and bend as it did originally. This may not be a factor in your case. I probably would clean it up and leave it as is.
    Will Walker (WOW)

I would guess that this hole has broken out several times. I never liked the idea of a "D" shaped hole anyway. This shape puts a lot of bending force at the center, and corners, of the flat side of the D. Much better to have a well centered pear shaped hole. You will have far fewer tearouts.
    Willie X

Default Re: Seeking Opinions on spring condition (By: Willie X)

With the large part toward the hook?

I don't think it matters. It's no more work to cut, anneal, and re-hole than it is to clean it up with a file. And vice versa.

Is what I think.
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Seeking Opinions on spring condition (By: bangster)

It seems to me that the hole was originally too large for the hook. I would aneal the spring and drill a new smaller hole a bit larger than the hook and hand file the shape accordingly.