Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ansonia Knight Open Escapement Runs Way Too Fast

Hello. I purchased an Ansonia clock (Knight model) with an open escapement from a reputable seller on ebay (this is the second clock I've bought from this seller). It runs beautifully and I believe was cleaned and oiled prior to selling.

It has both the regulator arbor at the 12 o'clock position and an adjustable pendulum bob. I've turned the regulator arbor to the slow position repeatedly. I've turned the arbor while looking through the back of the case and it seems to be working. I've tried turning the arbor in both directions. I turned it 100 times toward "S" in the course of a week (no exaggeration; I counted 25 full turns each time over four days and tracked the results).

I've got the pendulum bob down as far as it can go. The design on the pendulum bob matches the ornate patterns on the clock case so I presume it is the correct pendulum assembly for the clock.

It has driven me bats that I can't slow my clock down. As far as I can tell from the sound it is in correct beat. I'm entirely at a loss.

Default Re: Ansonia Knight Open Escapement Runs Way Too Fast (By: Jayke)

I believe this one will also do better in Clock Repair.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Ansonia Knight Open Escapement Runs Way Too Fast

Can we see photos of the clock with pendulum and suspension rod?
    You should not be able to turn the adjuster 100 times in either direction, so it may not be working as well as you think.
    Also, if this is a tall standing figural clock like it seems to be, there should be an extension that goes between the suspension spring and the pendulum. If you are missing this extension the clock will run very fast
    Last edited by Fitzclan; 08-08-2017 at 01:57 PM.
    "To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven." - Ecc. 3:1

Default Re: Ansonia Knight Open Escapement Runs Way Too Fast (By: Fitzclan)

If that extension is indeed missing, check the bottom of the case and the packaging it came in. If you don't find it you can easily make a new one from 16 gage wire available at any hardware or home improvement store for a couple of bucks. You may have to fiddle with length until you get it right, but set both adjustments to their centers first.
    "To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven." - Ecc. 3:1

Default Re: Ansonia Knight Open Escapement Runs Way Too Fast (By: Steven Thornberry)

I'm sorry. I only registered yesterday. Should I delete this post and then repost it in clock repair?

I am presently at work but I will try to take photos when I get home or tomorrow. I've got to deliver a wheelchair to a lady after work so it might be tomorrow.

I think I may know what you are talking about when you reference the extension. It is effectively a "J-hook" shape from which the pendulum rod which is an upside down "V" acting as a torsion clamp on which the pendulum bob is retained. Ahhh heck I'll just post the pic. After all a picture is worth a thousand words.

I'm very grateful to you for taking the time to respond.

Default Re: Ansonia Knight Open Escapement Runs Way Too Fast (By: Steven Thornberry)

Mr. Thornberry I see two of my posts have been migrated to clock repair. If you are the responsible party I thank you. If not please send my thanks along to he or she that is.

Here is what I am talking about.
    as you can see, the pendulum length is about 10.5 "
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1426.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	400.0 KB 
ID:	352895   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1427.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	414.8 KB 
ID:	352896   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1428.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	420.0 KB 
ID:	352897   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1429.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	252.7 KB 
ID:	352898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1431.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	366.6 KB 
ID:	352899  

It's all wrong, fitzclan. That suspension should run all the way down to the bob, and the bob should not look like that one. All of the adjustments for speed should take place at the fast/slow adjuster on the dial. You need this and this to make it right. Start long, and work your way shorter. Keep the adjuster in the center position until you are close to the right time keeping. Someone used an Ansonia bob from a different kind of clock. I tried to find some pictures of my old figural clocks, but couldn't find any. But I'm pretty sure I'm right. At any rate, you'll need to increase the length of the suspension.

Edit: on second thought, maybe the bob is correct. You'll just need to make a new suspension rod longer.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Registered user.

Can you be more exact in how fast the clock is?
    It might be a length adjustment but there are other
    possible issues.
    Looking at the picture, the adjuster is at about mid travel.
    Measure how fast it is over some length of time.
    Tinker Dwight
    Last edited by Tinker Dwight; 08-08-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Default Re: Ansonia Knight Open Escapement Runs Way Too Fast (By: shutterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    It's all wrong, fitzclan. That suspension should run all the way down to the bob, and the bob should not look like that one. All of the adjustments for speed should take place at the fast/slow adjuster on the dial. You need this and this to make it right. Start long, and work your way shorter. Keep the adjuster in the center position until you are close to the right time keeping. Someone used an Ansonia bob from a different kind of clock. I tried to find some pictures of my old figural clocks, but couldn't find any. But I'm pretty sure I'm right. At any rate, you'll need to increase the length of the suspension.

Edit: on second thought, maybe the bob is correct. You'll just need to make a new suspension rod longer.

Im sure this would work by simply using a longer suspension rod Shut, but you wouldn't be able to hang the bob once installed as there is no access to get to the bottom of the case. I am assuming that this is why it is made this way.
    Just guessing though. Don't have anything to compare it to.
    I'd like to see what the op has.

Default Re: Ansonia Knight Open Escapement Runs Way Too Fast (By: Tinker Dwight)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Dwight View Post
    Can you be more exact in how fast the clock is?
    It might be a length adjustment but there are other
    possible issues.
    Looking at the picture, the adjuster is at about mid travel.
    Measure how fast it is over some length of time.
    Tinker Dwight
    Hi Tinker,
    The op hasn't posted any pics of his clock yet. I was just showing him how mine is set up. He didn't say how fast it is but that would be good to know.

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclan View Post
    Hi Tinker,
    The op hasn't posted any pics of his clock yet. I was just showing him how mine is set up. He didn't say how fast it is but that would be good to know.
    Well, that explains why it is in the middle of travel.
    It would be helpful if the OP would give us more info to go on.
    Tinker Dwight

Ooops! Sorry, fitz! I should read who is posting! I assumed that you were the OP, and we all know what assuming does!
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Ansonia Knight Open Escapement Runs Way Too Fast (By: shutterbug)

Gentlemen I want to apologize for my prolonged absence! Sadly I have fibromyalgia and my ability to function is thereby on a day-to-day basis. Some days I can barely get through work! On the next post to this thread I will upload some photos and then try to go back and answer any questions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ansonia Knight.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	393.1 KB 
ID:	353782   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ansonia Movement.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	542.4 KB 
ID:	353783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ansonia Pend Up back.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	303.3 KB 
ID:	353784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ansonia Pend Up front.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	415.6 KB 
ID:	353785