Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Can't figure out how the striking train works in this Seth Thomas 30hr lyre movem (By: R. Croswell)

Is there ANY way this Rube Goldberg contraption is supposed to be superior to a standard count wheel?
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.

Default Re: Can't figure out how the striking train works in this Seth Thomas 30hr lyre movem (By: bangster)

Quote Originally Posted by bangster View Post
    Is there ANY way this Rube Goldberg contraption is supposed to be superior to a standard count wheel?
    Fewer parts?

Default Re: Can't figure out how the striking train works in this Seth Thomas 30hr lyre movem (By: bangster)

I believe it's more efficient. The elements are few, and the stop more reliable. Not much fiddling required, like getting the count lever entering a groove exactly straight
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Can't figure out how the striking train works in this Seth Thomas 30hr lyre movem (By: shutterbug)

If it's superior, why didn't ever'body adopt it?
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.

Hard to redo tooling, and it was likely patented
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Never heard any claims of superiority. Mine and this one are the only ones I've ever "seen". Never had a problem with it but don't like the hard stop on the 4th wheel. There are other movements that have a round count wheel with raised places in place of slots that stop when the count lever raises. If it was superior one would expect all clocks to be made that way.

RC

Registered user.

Default Re: Can't figure out how the striking train works in this Seth Thomas 30hr lyre movem (By: R. Croswell)

Quote Originally Posted by R. Croswell View Post
    On mine the stop pin slams into the stop lever with some rebound and then comes to lock. Helper spring would not be a bad idea and justified if locking is an issue. Don't know if that was original or not.

Tinker, See post # 9 where Mike said "The mangled wire in the pic with the levers was actually attached to the stop lever for the 4th wheel. It then went around the arbor then into nothingness. The wire I took off of the eye was straighter and of a heavier gauge." I had also incorrectly assumed that the mangled wire was the sync trip wire.

RC
    Yep, I went back and looked at it. It seems to be a helper
    spring but it will need some work to get it back to the intended shape.
    It might be better to start with some fresh spring wire.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Can't figure out how the striking train works in this Seth Thomas 30hr lyre movem (By: Tinker Dwight)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Dwight View Post
    Yep, I went back and looked at it. It seems to be a helper
    spring but it will need some work to get it back to the intended shape.
    It might be better to start with some fresh spring wire.
    Tinker Dwight
    I just looked at mine again and it does not have the helper spring and works just fine that way (which is often the case with missing helper springs). No harm in just leaving it out and seeing how it works.

RC

Registered user.

Default Re: Can't figure out how the striking train works in this Seth Thomas 30hr lyre movem

It has to catch reliably on the smaller stop is all. The trickier part
    is that when the J hook drops on the hour, the warning wheel has to
    turn slow enough to let the stop detent drop below the stop pin
    before it turns around and gets caught. That shouldn't be an issue
    with the stop pin, one wheel down from the warning wheel.
    I'd think the next trickiest part is to have enough warning to have the count
    lever clear the pin on the main wheel.
    At least that is my thinking( not having the clock in hand).
    Tinker Dwight
    Last edited by Tinker Dwight; 08-11-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Default Re: Can't figure out how the striking train works in this Seth Thomas 30hr lyre movem (By: Tinker Dwight)

Just want to let everyone know the clock is up and running and striking the hours as intended. Thanks again for all the advice and help. RC, a huge thanks for the explanation and video!

Mike

Default Re: Can't figure out how the striking train works in this Seth Thomas 30hr lyre movem (By: MikeDeB)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDeB View Post
    Just want to let everyone know the clock is up and running and striking the hours as intended. Thanks again for all the advice and help. RC, a huge thanks for the explanation and video!

Mike
    Glad it was a help.

RC

Default Re: Can't figure out how the striking train works in this Seth Thomas 30hr lyre movem

Mike,

Glad to hear you got it up and running.
    Did you place a new helper spring or does the strike work fine without one? Just curious is all.

Default Re: Can't figure out how the striking train works in this Seth Thomas 30hr lyre movem (By: Time After Time)

Quote Originally Posted by Time After Time View Post
    Mike,

Glad to hear you got it up and running.
    Did you place a new helper spring or does the strike work fine without one? Just curious is all.
    I didn't put a new helper spring in and it works just fine.