Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default help solving problem with GB Westminster chiming

I have Gustav Becker mantel clock with Westminster chiming. The problem is that when minute hand on every quarter releases chiming this normally starts but does not stops in time - chimes continuously until minute hand lift lifting lever and locks pin on the wheel. I can not find anywhere good pictures of the similar movement and just to compare with mine where is difference. I am not professional clock repairer but have some experience as this is my hobby. Please provide your opinions where the problem could be. Sorry for my poor English, thank you and best regards
    Gintaras
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170808_182957.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	352855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170808_183019.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	545.2 KB 
ID:	352856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170808_183029.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	428.0 KB 
ID:	352857   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170808_183040.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	385.3 KB 
ID:	352858   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170808_183102.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	352859  

Default Re: help solving problem with GB Westminster chiming (By: gintarasb64)

The lock apparently takes place between the plates so it sounds like the timing of a lock pin is off. Has this always been an issue with the movement?

In my limited experience, German engineering can be very unforgiving.

Is there any chance you could post a video of the chime train action?

It might show something that is not in view (or not obvious) in your still photos.

Default Re: help solving problem with GB Westminster chiming (By: Time After Time)

The issue was already in place when I bought the clock. Agree with you that the lock takes place between the plates and visually is complicated enough to detect what is wrong and where lock pin should be. I spend a lot of time investigating but no positive results till now. Of course I learned a lot about chiming basics - there a lot of good information in this forum. Unfortunately all examples are used with movements with chiming locks located under front plate. I will try to make a video and post the link. Thank you for your help
    Gintaras

Registered user.

I could be wrong but it sounds like it isn't stopping
    in warning to wait until the lever drops on the hour.
    Usually there is one wheel that is part of the chime
    train that has a pin on it to stop at warning. It holds
    until the minute releases the lifting lever.
    It then plays the appropriate 1/4.
    Can you clarify the sequence of events. You know, what
    is happening at what time.
    Tinker Dwight

It appears that there are two levers that control the stop. One will be for the 3/4 hour auto-synch function, and the other for the regular chime sequence. If neither of those levers (shown in your 2nd picture) stop the train - in other words if it won't stop at the 3/4 hour position, then I suspect that you have a stop pin that broke off. If it does stop at the 3/4 hour it indicates a positioning problem, either with the lever or the wheel.

If the clock worked well, and the problem just started, then a lever is the likely place to look. I see that they have a helper spring. Be sure that it is helping. Also one of the levers should be adjustable. They should both be even at the 3/4 hour position.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: help solving problem with GB Westminster chiming (By: shutterbug)

I did one of these about 18 months ago, but my memory is decidedly hazy on how it needs to be set up. But its all between the plates on this one.

Below is the only picture I took before taking it apart, it's at least the right area and shows it in the stop position....*probably* at the 3/4 hour, thats usually where I move the hands to when I'm working out how the auto correct works on an unfamiliar movement

I'm sorry I cant remember it, maybe if I see a video of yours it'll come back to me!

Name:	P1070847_6389.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	352973  

Default Re: help solving problem with GB Westminster chiming (By: ClipClock)

Thank you for your help. Links to the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT5A4W7dROM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGJ928yhgjA

Maybe it would help
    Regards
    Gintaras

Registered user.

I would think the warning wheel is suppose to have a pin
    on both sides. the pin on the back side has busted off.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: help solving problem with GB Westminster chiming (By: Tinker Dwight)

Sorry I just couldnt see the piece I needed to see in the videos, although they were good quality. At rest do you have pins lying in both of these detents?

Name:	GB Chimer.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	353091  

Default Re: help solving problem with GB Westminster chiming

I hate to ask you for another video, but could you post one from the same angle as ClipClock's photo? That's where the stop must occur so that must be where the pin is missing and/or the timing is off. Thanks.

Default Re: help solving problem with GB Westminster chiming (By: Time After Time)

I’m not sure this is your problem but it’s something to check out.
    Earlier this year I had a Gustav Becker Westminster chime clock with a similar movement. The complaint......although the chimes always locked as they should and it always chimed when it should but it always played only 8 notes at the 3/4 hour and 20 notes at the hour. It was a real puzzler. I finally noticed that when it was chiming the 3/4 hour the slot in the locking plate came around a bit early causing the chimes to stop too soon, and at the hour the slot appeared too late allowing the extra 4 notes to play plus the 16 from the hour. The locking plate had somehow moved on it's arbor! After moving the locking plate and Loctiting it in place, it chimed as it should.

Default Re: help solving problem with GB Westminster chiming (By: paclockman)

With the help of all of you I think I found the problem - locking pin on the wheel is broken. This pin is clearly visible on the picture provided by ClipClock and missing in my movement (just very short pin from back side of the wheel is left). I will try somehow to fix it and I will inform you about my success. Thank's all of you for the help and advises - I would never detect the problem without it.
    Best regards

Gintaras

Name:	GB movement- good.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	244.0 KB 
ID:	354060  

That makes sense, and matches what your symptoms show. You'll have to remove that wheel to install a pin. You might as well do a complete service while you're at it. We're here to help if you need it.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.