Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4141 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    George Schultz

Default HAIR SPRING ADJUSTMENT

I have a Seth Thomas No.10 and it needed a new hair spring. I got an assortment from La Rose and found one that approximated the sise albeit it was bronze instead of carbon steel like the original. The clock now runs too slow about 1 hour a day . Can I make it run faster?
    George

George Schultz

Default HAIR SPRING ADJUSTMENT (RE: George Schultz)

I have a Seth Thomas No.10 and it needed a new hair spring. I got an assortment from La Rose and found one that approximated the sise albeit it was bronze instead of carbon steel like the original. The clock now runs too slow about 1 hour a day . Can I make it run faster?
    George

George Schultz

Thanks Phil will try that,but what do you mean by "resetting the beat" I know how to do that on a pendulum movement but on the hairspring movement the only setting is fast or slow via the lever ,is that what you meen? George

Hi george.
    The end of the hair spring usualy is secured with a pin. remove the pin and pull the hearpring a little (less than 1/8") through the stud hole to make it shorter, Put the pin back, then rotate the balance spring collet, until the guard pin is locate in the center of the horns of the lever. stop the escape wheel.
    the above will reset the beat...Wilf.

George....This may help with the adjustment. It is one of the tools I made after using "vise grips" to adjust the balance spring collet. :biggrin:

I made a few to "fit" many. It's reversible by flipping over and no I didn't apply for a "Patent". I think someone else must have made one of these before "vise grips".

Hope this will help.....

Geo
    NAWCC#78594

Phil,
    What you say about all parts being in alignment is true, but shouldn't this be when all the power of the spring has been let down?

Thanks to Phil and others you probably have the balance wheel in proper beat already while I was asleep at the switch. But just to add a bit I will make the point that you are doing the same thing when you put the balance wheel in beat that you are doing when you put the pendulum in beat, You are arranging the controller of the escapement (the pendulum or the balance wheel) so that the least amount of power will will be needed to keep the escapement operating.
    In the pendulum clock you adjust that the distance to the tick and that to the tock are equal. Therefore the lift of the pendulum bob above the baseline are equal on each side, therefore they are minimal.
    In the balance wheel escapement, the spiral balance wheel spring acts as the restorative force, just as gravity acts as the restorative force in the pendulum clock.
    So we also want the impulse pin of the balance wheel to be at the neutral point, at the zero point, at the mid point of its travel in each direction against the restorative force of the balance wheel spring.
    Therefore we take power off the escape wheel (so it does not interfere with what we are doing) by putting a wedge fold of paper between two wheels of the power train and we rotate the balance wheel impulse pin so it is in neutral position to be impulsed equally each way around its arbor of the balance wheel. And that is done by placing a fine screw driver or tool in the slot of the collet to hold the inner end of the spring in place and then rotating the balance wheel arbor in the collet so that the impulse pin is in the neutral, the zero position so then it will be kicked equally in either direction by the pallets. And that position for the impulse pin is when it is in a direct line between the arbors on either side of it The balance wheel arbor and the pallet arbor.
    And Phil explained the whole thing in a fraction of the time that I took.

David S. Goodman
    FNAWCC 16690
    Author: This Old Clock
    dsgood@worldnet.att.net

George Schultz

I want to thank all of you for your help, I got the clock working perfectly .George