Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tiny Cuckoo Clock

A cousin asked me if I might be able to look at this clock and see if it would run again. She has zero expectations, so the pressure is off!! It has a broken minute hand. I presume the hands just press off/on. Will need to find some replacements. No key...will have to try and measure the arbor. I thought those were small screws holding the dial on, but they appear to be maybe small nails. I haven't been able to pull the back plate off...I don't have any tools right now to work with. She didn't give me a pendulum, so I'm checking on that.

Has something like this come up on the forum before? As you can see from the pen, it's about 5-6 inches tall.

Thanks...Kurt
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TinyCuckoo1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	832.4 KB 
ID:	352064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TinyCuckoo2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	668.1 KB 
ID:	352065

Registered user.

Default Re: Tiny Cuckoo Clock (By: KurtinSA)

Most of these have a pendulum. It is a novelty clock and there is
    no pendulum suspension. It hangs right on the crutch/leader.
    It is a fun clock. I'm not sure what search would be best to find
    others on the MB but there are others like this.
    Tinker Dwight

The style of clock is a pendulette.

The link below has some more information.

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?4...ght=pendulette

Regards.

Default Re: Tiny Cuckoo Clock

Here's the pendulum for it, and here's the key. That back plate should just slide right off by applying a bit of pressure downward on the plate. You'll be able to adjust the beat inside the back of the case by bending the leader a little. One of these sets of hands should match what you have. BTW, the little mechanical movement in that last link will probably be the one inside your clock. If push comes to shove, you can replace the movement. I doubt that will be necessary though.
    Last edited by shutterbug; 07-31-2017 at 09:47 AM.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Kurt,
    Don't buy the 'pendulette' key like Merritt's P-682. These OEM style keys are crap and will cause you trouble. Get the regular 'novelty' style key in the correct size, like Merritt's
    P-1014. This one has a machined barrel and won't deform with use and the small round wing will make it less likely for you to break something.
    Willie X

Default Re: Tiny Cuckoo Clock (By: Willie X)

sb -

Those are good leads...thanks. If my cousin can't find the pendulum, this is probably best so as no one wastes anymore time.

Willie X - I've been doing business with Timesavers to this point...do you think that Shutterbug's link to a key is not worth trying? Not to mention, I can't find P-1014 novelty key at Merrits.

Kurt
    Last edited by KurtinSA; 07-31-2017 at 04:13 PM.

They have that one too, and several sizes. You could mic the square for the key to be sure

My bad, should have been
    Merritt's P-1013. This key is sold by most of the suppliers. Usually listed as a Lux, or Keebler, or Novelty clock key.
    Willie X

I pulled the back plate off. Says Made in Germany as well as unadjusted no (0) jewels. Manufacturer is Adolph Jerger KG. I can't quite get my micrometer to measure across the flats for the key, but I have a smallish novelty key. The fits loosely and using my key shank tool, it appears the size is around 2.4.

Kurt

Just orders all 3. They're only a buck each. Minimum postage is going to be about $7.50.
    Willie X

I'm struggling with trying to get the hands off the shaft...the minute hand is broken. I don't have a puller for something like this. Timesavers has this:

http://timesavers.com/i-9500790-hand-gear-puller.html

which says that the tip is 1/16" which is 0.0625". It appears that the small amount of arbor that is showing is 0.06"...as best as I can measure. Even still, the minute hand center section is nearly flush with the exposed end of the arbor. That's not much to push on. I need something that is sharper than that so the hand can slip past the end of the puller.

Kurt

I managed to fashion a hand puller from stuff I had. Hands are off. Parts have come in from Timesavers.

Question...is this a 30-hour movement? Seems like that's the most obvious time basis.

Kurt

Most of these small pendulettes run for about 30 hours on a single winding. These clocks were usually made as souvenirs or gifts.
    I don't think these clocks were ever meant to be regularly serviced so one will find manufacturing shortcuts such as the press-on hands. However, these clocks tend to look very ornate and make for good decoration regardless of operating condition.
    "A good gong sells the clock!" - Justin A. Olson

Default Re: Tiny Cuckoo Clock (By: chimeclockfan)

First I couldn't get the hands off...now I can get the minute hand on!! I've pushed as much as I dare to...just won't even get started on the arbor. What should I do? I'm thinking that a lubricant wont' really help that much. I could ream the hole but there's the danger of reaming too much so the hand won't grab the shaft enough to stay in position.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by KurtinSA View Post
    First I couldn't get the hands off...now I can get the minute hand on!! I've pushed as much as I dare to...just won't even get started on the arbor. What should I do? I'm thinking that a lubricant wont' really help that much. I could ream the hole but there's the danger of reaming too much so the hand won't grab the shaft enough to stay in position.

Kurt
    Look at the end of the arbor to make sure you didn't flatten it a bit with your puller. You might have to file the roughness off if you did.